file Declared Effects as Public Information

01 May 2013 15:11 #48019 by Charles_Bronson
When I use Ericyes Fragments, Ashur Tablets, etc, do I have the obligation to show others methuselahs the cards Im taking and whats happening to them?

Some people I know are saying that you can at most LOOK at the ash heap before and after the action and TRY TO GUESS what happened. So it would be possible to use Ericyes and do not show the card taken to it. Other methuselahs could only be guessing.

but I disagree. Whats the correct answer then? And why?

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2013 15:33 - 01 May 2013 15:37 #48021 by Dorrinal
When you use those effects, you must announce which card(s) you are moving. Similar to announcing an action:

All details of the action are declared when the action is announced, including the target(s), the cost, the effects, etc. Any card required for the action is played (face up) at this time. Tap the acting minion (only ready untapped minions can take actions).

EXCEPTION: Any decisions to be made for a referendum are not declared until the action succeeds (see The Political Action, sec. 6.3.1).

groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/erciyes$20fragment$20announce/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/7fMPCYIPrag/mjZoY0oGz0QJ

Money quote:

That's one reason for the way things are as they are, in fact. Since the ash
heap is known, there's no reason to turn the card play into a 15-minute
"memorize this set and then look away while I make a change and then identify
the changes" exerecize for each of the other players.

The other reason, as stated, is that effects are announced.

:trem:
Last edit: 01 May 2013 15:37 by Dorrinal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenPeal, Charles_Bronson

More
01 May 2013 16:04 #48023 by Charles_Bronson
Thank you, but I think the rulebook should be more clear in this point, and extend the rule of 6.2.1 to all cards and effects, not only "action".

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

More
01 May 2013 16:06 #48025 by Dorrinal
Yes there's obviously an "effects are announced" rule, but I don't know where it is. We will find out when Pascal chimes in. :)

:trem:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
01 May 2013 18:37 #48035 by KevinM

Thank you, but I think the rulebook should be more clear in this point, and extend the rule of 6.2.1 to all cards and effects, not only "action".

Even the basic Magic rulebook says "Cards in your graveyard are always face up and anyone can look at them at any time."

If we have VTES players that are going to power game, I suppose we should redo the rulebook so that they aren't able to do so.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
02 May 2013 07:53 #48075 by jamesatzephyr

Fully declaring cards is already in the rulebook.

1.6.1.1: "The player completely declares the effect of the card when it is played."

In general, other effects follow the same rules as playing cards (except where that obviously can't work, like you don't put Wynn in limbo when using his built-in action) - they're both just sources of an effect. It wouldn't hurt to make that clearer, but dozens of rulings have been issued confirming this over the years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds