file Dual Form question

05 May 2013 14:04 #48200 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Dual Form question

it would require an errata or convoluted sterility rule, for objectively allowing weak vampire to play a weak card. It does not seem worth it.

oh really?

almost all embrace-type cards now specifically say "requires a non-sterile vampire", so if it was really wanted it'd be easy to just change the rulebook definition of sterile into a keyword that means nothing on its own (like "gun" or "hunting ground"). easy peasy.

Nosferatu Bestial is an exception, doesn't mention non-sterile even in the reprinted version. but I strongly doubt this hypothetical rule change would lead to a single deck using clan impersonate into Nosferatu Bestial. (if I'm wrong and it becomes the new metagame, you can all curse my name while you add one line of errata to the card database)

what's funny is this one TWD actually does use Dual Form with a sterile vampire. I was never quite sure if was supposed to be used at basic for the untap, or illegally used at superior to create vampires. either way seemed pretty clever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2013 14:33 #48204 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Dual Form question

almost all embrace-type cards now specifically say "requires a non-sterile vampire", so if it was really wanted it'd be easy to just change the rulebook definition of sterile into a keyword that means nothing on its own (like "gun" or "hunting ground"). easy peasy.

And - like quite often - it has nothing to do with what I say. You're talking of the length of the errata/rule change vs me that talk about that erratas are to be avoided anyhow. Erratas should be done when it's useful for game balance or because nobody play the card correctly, since people are reasonably hard to reach and because having a card that does not do what is printed on it is irritating.

In which way Dual form being playable by sterile vampire is important for the game ? Both Dual form and sterile vampire are pretty rare and not all that powerful anyway, so effort may be better channeled on more pressing topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ReverendRevolver

More
05 May 2013 20:06 #48220 by Juggernaut1981
@Ohlmann:
Since VTES is potentially heading PoD, then you could do errata the card in two ways:

1) Edit the new PoD Dual Form

2) Make it part of the next RTR.

It also already sounds like a lot of the cards will be getting at least a minor visual overhaul (or will be put on hold until they can be overhauled).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
05 May 2013 21:18 #48225 by Ohlmann

1) Edit the new PoD Dual Form

It require that the PoD include Dual Form. I suspect not every card will be in the PoD at once, and Dual form is at best average priority - it's not like it's a staple of Protean.

Cards with erratas (say, Villein or the future Lillith Blessing) are more important to put into PoD, I agree, but in Dual Form case it's more like that when it will be put into PoD then it may (or may not) be errated, not the other way around. The errata is absolutely confidential.

2) Make it part of the next RTR.

Which is an errata to broadcast to people, which is something I'd better not see too often, especially for niche case like this one.

I am not even convinced that, all thing considered, it's something to fix at all. A vampire which blood cannot sustain new vampire cannot sustain being split ? It's not even too illogical given the lore, and it have very few real effect on the game.

Sometime, simplicity is best. There is few reason to bother with an errata which will allow two* vampires to play the superior version of dual form. Let's not add exception for everything.

* : Pariah couldn't play it even if he were not sterile, since it's undirected.

More
05 May 2013 23:21 #48230 by Juggernaut1981
I didn't say that editing the card is vital (frankly I can't give much of a damn) BUT if you are going to say that either Dual Form needs a change or "Sterile" needs a change I'd advocate you change the card and leave the rule alone (since its the only time a problem with the Sterile Rule has come up).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
06 May 2013 08:12 #48243 by Ohlmann

I didn't say that editing the card is vital (frankly I can't give much of a damn) BUT if you are going to say that either Dual Form needs a change or "Sterile" needs a change I'd advocate you change the card and leave the rule alone (since its the only time a problem with the Sterile Rule has come up).

I agree.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds