file Bleed mods

06 Jul 2013 12:08 - 06 Jul 2013 12:12 #51045 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Bleed mods

Typically, the actor and the reactor will go back and forth on a 1-to-1 ratio of card-played, but the rule is that the actor gets to play as many cards as wanted, then the impulse is passed to the appropriate reactor, who may play A SINGLE CARD, and then the impulse goes back to the actor, until the actor again gives up the impulse...repeat as needed until the resolution of the action.

That's typical during stealth/intercept fights. Combat (especially pre-range combat) can be a different kettle of fish, however.

For example, say A has multiple pre-range effects he wants to use. Perhaps just to cycle out of his hand. But the other combatant, B, is a vampire with Temporis, and A is worried about him playing a card such as Outside the Hourglass. "Only usable before range is determined. Inflict 2 damage on the opposing minion." So that combat might go:

A: I play Carrion Crows. *redraws* I play Aura Reading. Pass.
B: I play Outside the Hourglass. (Which sends A to torpor, hypothetically.)

Similarly, if A plays only one card and gives the impulse to B and then B chooses not to play a card, the impulse doesn't go back to A. For example:

A: I play Carrion Crows. Pass.
B: I pass.

A now can't play Aura Reading, or any other pre-range effects.

(Well, technically, the impulse could go back to A if another Methuselah played an effect, but that's vanishingly rare in combat.)

An alternative scenario might be where the opposing Methuselah can end combat, such as with Elysium: The Arboretum or Mariel, Lady Thunder.

Also imagine a situation where the opponent wants to play a pre-range card (say, Outside the Hourglass again) but you want to try to get to a copy of Terror Frenzy in your deck. So you play Carrion Crows, then Aura Reading, then... and eventually draw a Terror Frenzy, which you play, which increases the cost of Outside the Hourglass. "Only usable before range is determined. Combat cards cost the opposing vampire an additional blood this combat." Which in a hypothetical example means the opponent can't play it because they have zero blood.

This is rarely an issue during stealth/intercept wars, because if B doesn't play an effect to increase intercept, A can't play another stealth card anyway.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2013 12:12 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2013 14:51 #51048 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Bleed mods

Hi I'm teaching a new player and had some basic questions come up

Excellent news indeed!

Start with the FAQs.

www.thelasombra.com/FAQs.htm

3.12 helps in this case.

www.thelasombra.com/vtes_faq.htm#c3s12

3.12. When can I play Deflection / My Enemy's Enemy / Lost in Translantion / Redirection / Telepathic Misdirection?

You may play the bleed bounce cards:
when the bleed is announced. (decline to block, then bounce)
after a stealth card is played. (decline to block, then bounce)
after a bleed modifier is played. (decline to block, then bounce)
after a card is played that makes the action unblockable. (decline to block, then bounce)
after a declaration that you will not block. (always required)
after someone else bounces the bleed to you. (decline to block, then bounce)

More
06 Jul 2013 15:44 #51049 by delangen
Replied by delangen on topic Re: Bleed mods
Single card?? I was under the impression you could play a couple of cards if needed say: enhanced senses and precognition to block a (minor)night moves

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

More
06 Jul 2013 16:10 #51052 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Bleed mods

Single card?? I was under the impression you could play a couple of cards if needed say: enhanced senses and precognition to block a (minor)night moves

Well how it goes is vampire a bleeds with night moves, gives impulse to the target player, who declares block attempt with vampire b playing enhanced senses, then impulse goes back to a who declines playing anything else, then b plays precognition, and then a has chance to play stuff again, etc.

More
06 Jul 2013 18:10 #51054 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Bleed mods

Technically speaking (the best kind of speaking), KevinM is right about the single card thing for the non-acting minion.

Practically speaking, the reacting player often plays multiple cards without interruption.

A particular concept that affects this is that you can't play stealth cards *unless stealth is needed*. For example, you bleed. They block. You play Lost in Crowds at OBF for +2 stealth. They play Precognition for +1 intercept. Technically, the acting minion has another window to play action modifiers. But since more stealth is not needed, they usually pass impulse. Then the reacting minion can play Spirit's Touch for +1 more intercept, which then sends impulse back to the acting minion.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
06 Jul 2013 19:47 #51057 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Bleed mods

You can. You just can't play both at the same time. And any time anyone plays an effect in a given window, the impulse (that is, the ability to play the next effect in that window) goes back to the acting Methuselah.

Here is what a lot of people assume the sequencing rules say. A is acting, B is non-acting. For simplicity right now, we'll say only two Methuselahs.

A: This vampire is going to attempt to diablerize your copy of Arika, who is in torpor. Do you block? (Impulse goes to B.)
B: Yes, this vampire attempts to block. (Impulse goes to A.)
A: I play Forgotten Labyrinth for +3 stealth. You? (A is done, so impulse goes to B.)
B: I play Spirit's Touch for +1 intercept. (Impulse stays with B.) I play Precognition for +1 intercept. (Impulse stays with B.) I play Eagle's Sight for +1 intercept. Okay, now I'm done. (Impulse goes back to A.)

(This isn't what technically happens.)

In fact, after every time B plays a card or uses an effect (e.g. tapping a newspaper), the impulse goes back to A. So for example, A could play Call of the Hungry Dead after any of those cards to make the block fail. Oftentimes, A will want to wait until B has wasted all that intercept. But maybe A would prefer that B had a hand full of intercept, rather than drawing into some bleed modifiers. So it can be to A's advantage, perhaps.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds