file Withering

25 Jul 2013 04:14 #52209 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Withering
Slight nitpick, you can prevent Withering with some discpline requiring cards, such as Horrid Form/Typhonic Beast, Apparition played before strike resolution, Ablative Skin already on the vampire, etc. It just means that the opposing minion who didn't dodge the withering cannot play discpline requiring cards anymore during the damage prevention step.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 05:06 - 25 Jul 2013 07:46 #52212 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Withering

Correct answer from Adonai.
Also, if the minion declares a superior Withering strike with first strike, the opponent can play (and declare) an Undead Strength "normal" strike.

Break that down, please.

If a discipline-requiring card or effect is played before Withering resolves, the card works.

If a discipline-requiring card or effect is played after Withering resolves, it can't be played. And - for either first strike or normal strike - strike resolution comes before damage prevention.

Trying to break this down into a list of hard and fast rules is silly (and harder than just understanding the above two points), because so many cards work outside the system you've attempted to establish. CEL additional strikes work just fine, if they're played before Withering resolves - say, Acrobatics.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 07:46 by jamesatzephyr.

More
25 Jul 2013 06:32 - 25 Jul 2013 09:02 #52224 by Pascal Bertrand
Replied by Pascal Bertrand on topic Re: Withering

Correct answer from Adonai.
Also, if the minion declares a superior Withering strike with first strike, the opponent can play (and declare) an Undead Strength "normal" strike.

Break that down, please.

If a discipline-requiring card or effect is played before Withering resolves, the card works.

If a discipline-requiring card or effect is played after Withering resolves, it can't be played. And - for either first strike or normal strike - strike resolution comes before damage prevention.

Trying to break this down into a list of hard and fast rules is silly (and harder than just understanding the above two points), because so many cards work outside the system you've attempted to establish. CEL additional strikes work just fine, if they're played before Withering resolves - say, Acrobatics.

Correct, except point 2 should be "A card requiring a discipline cannot be played (by the opposing minion) after sup' Withering resolves [edited]." Effects requiring a discipline (Masochism, strike from Heroic Might) can be used after Withering has resolved.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 09:02 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
25 Jul 2013 08:04 - 25 Jul 2013 08:05 #52229 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Withering

"A card requiring a discipline cannot be played (by the opposing minion) after sup' Withering resolves (and inflicts damage)."

Why is the amount of damage relevant? Are you saying that giving the opponent negative strength (say, Song of Serenity) such that the strike resolves for zero damage also negates the rest of the strike? Does Nephandus (reducing a strike's damage by 1) negate a Fractured Armanent at superior (1 damage and destroy equipment), by reducing the damage component to zero? The press from Aid from Bats?

Inflicting damage (successfully or otherwise) is relevant to some things, like Target Leg, Weighted Walking Stick, Improvised Flamethrower, Cobra Fangs, or whatever. But I don't see its relevance to Withering.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 08:05 by jamesatzephyr.

More
25 Jul 2013 09:01 - 25 Jul 2013 09:02 #52232 by Pascal Bertrand
Replied by Pascal Bertrand on topic Re: Withering

"A card requiring a discipline cannot be played (by the opposing minion) after sup' Withering resolves (and inflicts damage)."

Why is the amount of damage relevant?
[...]

But I don't see its relevance to Withering.

That's me misreading Withering's cardtext. It's even better than I dreamed it was!
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 09:02 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
25 Jul 2013 14:56 #52248 by ReverendRevolver
Replied by ReverendRevolver on topic Re: Withering

Why is the amount of damage relevant?
[...]

But I don't see its relevance to Withering.

That's me misreading Withering's cardtext. It's even better than I dreamed it was!

Its decidedly the best thn handstrike ive used.........

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds