file Does Eagle's Sight allow a block to succeed against Elder Imersonation at suerior?

25 Jul 2013 09:37 - 25 Jul 2013 09:40 #52235 by KevinM

That's one of the biggest differences between Eagle's Sight and Anneke - Anneke's ability is passive, and can be applied several times each action.

Name: Anneke
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Toreador
Group: 1
Capacity: 10
Discipline: dom AUS CEL PRE
Camarilla Toreador Justicar: Anneke may attempt to block a vampire controlled by another Methuselah, ignoring the normal prey, predator or target restrictions for blocking actions. +1 bleed.

I don't think this is correct (or, I'm misunderstanding your grammar).

The wording on Eagle's Sight and Anneke is *exactly* the same, so there's no "passive" or "active" issue to be discussed. What's different is that Eagle's Sight is played to the ash heap and Anneke is a card in-play.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 09:40 by KevinM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 09:44 - 25 Jul 2013 09:50 #52237 by Pascal Bertrand

That's one of the biggest differences between Eagle's Sight and Anneke - Anneke's ability is passive, and can be applied several times each action.

I don't think this is correct, or your grammar is bad. The wording on Eagle's Sight and Anneke is exactly the same, so there's no "passive" or "active" issue to be discussed. What's different is that Eagle's Sight is played to the ash heap and Anneke is a card in-play.

Eagle's Sight doesn't read "this vampire MAY attempt to block" (in which case, it would have been exactly the same as Anneke, since reaction card effects last for the duration of the action). Maybe "passive" was a wrong choice of words. Would "untriggered", "permanent" be better?

[LSJ 20030227] wrote:

Eagle's Sight is clearly a singular occurrence, not a duration of the action effect. My mistake. After the Form of Mist, you'd have to again establish your eligibility prior to playing Special Report.

Note that this was due to a cardtext migration in Camarilla Edition (iirc).

Also, something that I didn't say above, but that sometime matters:
You can't play Eagle's Sight if the current block attempt would be successful.
For instance, you can attempt to block with Carna (cardlessly) Dolphin Black's 0-stealth bleed, but when Dolphin Black says "I have no stealth cards", you can't play that Eagle's Sight. Only if a block attempt fails can another block attempt be made (Rulebook 6.2.2.2).
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 09:50 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
25 Jul 2013 12:47 #52245 by Klaital
However, you CAN play eagles sight at superior to attempt to block an action you could attempt to block anyway.

More
25 Jul 2013 18:12 #52254 by Wedge
It has been said that, you must attempt to block after playing Eagle Sight, and that reactions are in effect though out the course of the action.

From this, I infer that, if you play Eyes of Argus then Eagle Sight to block something and over the course of combat the action is continued. Not only can you attempt to block the action again, but you must do so.

Correct?

More
25 Jul 2013 18:30 #52258 by Boris The Blade
Incorrect. Pascal explained why in his first post.

More
25 Jul 2013 18:49 #52260 by jamesatzephyr

It has been said that, you must attempt to block after playing Eagle Sight, and that reactions are in effect though out the course of the action.

If a reaction grants you a persistent effect, it's in effect for the duration of the action. For reactions, this typically means intercept. For action modifiers, this typically means stealth, or bleed. There are other things - say, Uncontrollable Rage.

From this, I infer that, if you play Eyes of Argus then Eagle Sight to block something and over the course of combat the action is continued. Not only can you attempt to block the action again, but you must do so.

Only if I get to infer that:

- if I bounce a bleed to you and you bounce it back to me, my Deflection is still in effect for the whole action so I can bounce again to you for free

- if I play Second Tradition to untap and block, and then the action is continued with Form of Mist, I can untap again with the already-played Second Tradition, because it's in effect for the whole action

- if I play Elder Impersonation to fail a block attempt and you start a new block attempt, I can use the previously-played Elder Impersonation to fail your new block attempt (because Elder Impersonation is in effect for the whole action)

Which is to say: no.

Correct?

No.

Plenty of reactions provide a one-off effect.

Eagle's Sight could say: "For the duration of this action, when you declare blocks, this minion can do so ignoring the usual restrictions on who may block (predator, prey or target etc.)." And it used to say something a bit like that, but the wording was changed. That would persist for the whole action, even if the target changes, or there's a Form of Mist, or whatever.

Instead, what Eagle's Sight effectively says is: "Right now, one time only, this vampire attempts to block, ignoring the usual restrictions on who may block." Somewhat like Second Tradition which untaps you and forces a block attempt, but which wouldn't untap you again later in the action.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds