file The Old 96er was a Beast of a Stake

01 Nov 2013 03:59 #56067 by delangen
Hi,

I'm guessing this has come up before, but what happens to the Wooden Stake when Beast the Leatherface gets stabbed with it (for more then 1 point of course)?

He goes to torpor for sure, stake doesn't transfer so he pulls it out and throws it away I would imagine?

Does that mean he can untap as normal in torpor?

Thank you kindly

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2013 08:45 #56073 by Juggernaut1981

Wooden Stake
Type: Equipment
Melee weapon.
Strike: strength damage. If more than 1 damage is inflicted on an opposing vampire by this weapon in a given combat, that vampire is sent to torpor. In that case, this card is transferred to that vampire, and he or she doesn't untap as normal during the untap phase as long as he or she remains in torpor.

Beast, The Leatherface of Detroit
Clan: Nosferatu antitribu (group 2)
Capacity: 7
Disciplines: OBF POT ani cel
Sabbat: Beast cannot play action cards. He cannot have or use equipment or retainers. Beast may enter combat with any ready minion controlled by another Methuselah as a (D) action. +1 strength.

The Wooden Stake must attempt to move, Beast can't have it, so it would go to the ash heap would be my suggestion.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
01 Nov 2013 18:33 - 01 Nov 2013 18:34 #56099 by jozxyqk
The "and he or she doesn't untap as normal during the untap phase as long as he or she remains in torpor." part of the text is regardless of whether the stake is on the minion or not.

Similarly, if Frederick the Weak gets staked, and then Lupo takes a "transfer equipment" action to take the stake from Frederick, Frederick still does not untap as normal in torpor.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2013 18:34 by jozxyqk.

More
01 Nov 2013 18:51 - 01 Nov 2013 18:51 #56100 by AaronC

The "and he or she doesn't untap as normal during the untap phase as long as he or she remains in torpor." part of the text is regardless of whether the stake is on the minion or not.

Similarly, if Frederick the Weak gets staked, and then Lupo takes a "transfer equipment" action to take the stake from Frederick, Frederick still does not untap as normal in torpor.

The interesting question is if separate clauses in a compound sentence are reliant on each other. I'm not up on this question, but according to Jozxyqk they are independent. I'm sure that this has been covered ad nauseum, but I would love to see some google fu from Jameszephyr or someone.

The example with Frederick the Weak is illustrative, but not comparable with that of Beast. The question here is "If the "transfer this equipment" effect cannot take place, does the other effect of the "in that case" phrase take place"? With Frederick, both can take place. I guess the "does not untap" is a "remembered" effect from the strike.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2013 18:51 by AaronC.

More
02 Nov 2013 00:43 #56115 by delangen
Well logic (and I guess vampire lore) would dictate that he can't untap because he has a stake stuck in him. I suppose this is the intent... I prefer to imagine Beast yanking it out and tossing it then pouting all the way back to his GIMP box. Now since he is the GIMP it would make sense he couldn't let himself outta the box, but that is a whole nother story... there is a nice little minor curse for any of you who design crypt cards... you can even call him the GIMP.

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

More
02 Nov 2013 16:10 - 02 Nov 2013 16:11 #56138 by jozxyqk
Last edit: 02 Nov 2013 16:11 by jozxyqk.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds