lock About blocking D-actions, Eagle Sight and blocking window

20 Nov 2013 06:04 #56760 by Ankha

Thats a bit of a gray area, if c didn't specifically state no block, then he could still play eagles' sight to block, the best way to handle that is to explicitly ask from the person who you know is playing eagles sights if he is going to block before playing your bleed mod.

Is this correct? Do you have to always ask players with :AUS: or :SPI: minions or Anneke (or Enzo!) whether they decline to block? Shouldn't it be their responsibility to chime in at some point?

Obviously it's a nice thing to check when you suspect superior Eagle Sight, but that player shouldn't get to wait to see if a bleed gets pumped.

Yes it is correct. You can't negate a player's opportunity to block if he or she doesn't say that he or she declines the block.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Nov 2013 06:06 #56761 by AaronC

In a tournament, ask the player with AUS if they are blocking. Ask enough times and they'll tell you if they're planning to use Eagle Sights on you...

That sounds like advice, not a rule.

Jameszephyr, Google us up some rulings.
More
20 Nov 2013 06:14 #56762 by AaronC

Yes it is correct. You can't negate a player's opportunity to block if he or she doesn't say that he or she declines the block.

If true, that's pretty dumb.

"Ha ha, I block your pumped bleed with Eagle Sight. I guess you should have asked everyone first."

And what's the timing with post-pump Eagle Sight blocks and bleed redirection? "No, you can't Eagle Sight block that bleed yet because I get to play my Deflection first."
More
20 Nov 2013 08:03 #56764 by Von_Polack
Except Deflection can only be played after ALL block attempts are declined.
More
20 Nov 2013 09:07 #56766 by jamesatzephyr

It depends on what's being communicated. In much the same way that other areas of the game are elided by social norms, the same can happen here. For example, we do not typically explicitly ask every player on the table "Are you going to cancel this as it is played?" every time we play a card, and we understand that there will be some occasional tension, but more or less everyone would agree that by the time you're into the block combat that resulted from the Form of Mist continue action that resulted from the block of your bleed action, it's a little too late for someone to say "Err, I Directly Intervene on that Govern the Unaligned." So don't get hung up on the use of exact words - we don't use them all the time.

And if a player is (inadvertantly) trying to close a window, you really should speak up.

(If a player is intentionally trying to rush by a window to stop other people using it, call a judge.)

However, yes, at some point, you have to determine that a player is not using a cross-table blocker. I would recommend using the open question "Any blocks?" and then determining that a player not responding after some reasonable time isn't getting involved - much like if you're trying to DI something 5 minutes later because some hateful cheating players denied you your sovereign right to do so, you'll likely be faced with little to no help.

[LSJ 20030708]

The action cannot be resolved if any Methuselah still has a chance to
block, and therefore each Methuselah who might have a chance to
block must eventually decline to do so (or block, of course). Since
that declination cannot be postponed to the End of Time, it must
be made at some point. The acting Methuselah can wait for that
point to pass before playing further effects.

More
20 Nov 2013 11:21 #56770 by Ankha
Sure, but since most players play their Conditioning right after their prey has declined to block, very often you can't blame the player that wants to play Eagle Sight to have waited too long.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds