lock About blocking D-actions, Eagle Sight and blocking window

19 Nov 2013 17:53 #56725 by hardyrange

Is there some official clarification on this somewhere?

No clarification is needed, as the description of how to take an action and how to handle blocking is described in the rules.

6.2.2. Resolve Any Block Attempts

[...]Once a Methuselah decides not to make any further attempts to block, that decision is final. [...]

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager
The following user(s) said Thank You: makish
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Nov 2013 21:11 #56739 by Juggernaut1981
Notes:

1. Reactions can be played after an action modifier is played (e.g. Deflection in the case of a bleed modifier) but before the action resolves.

2. When a (D) action targets a new Methuselah the block attempts window 're-opens'. The classic example is bleed actions. When the bleed is directed at a new player (say via Deflection) then the block attempts window is opened again and all valid block attempts can be made. If a card fails to change the target of a bleed (i.e. Deflection is cancelled as it is played) then the target has not changed and therefore the block attempts declarations stay as they were.

3. Playing a card which redirects the target of a bleed is ALWAYS considered to have been preceded by that player declaring "No block attempts".

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
More
19 Nov 2013 21:37 #56743 by Klaital

I see. In the game I played, I asked all the table explicitly about blocking. The judge ruled that the window for blocking would be reopened if I increased the bleed.
If I understood correctly, once declined to block, is not possible to any Methuselah block an action, even if I play modifieres. Am I correct?

The judge was wrong, once a player has declared no block, the only way they could attempt to block again is if the target of the bleed changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: makish
More
19 Nov 2013 23:00 #56749 by jamesatzephyr

3. Playing a card which redirects the target of a bleed is ALWAYS considered to have been preceded by that player declaring "No block attempts".

No. A player must have in fact already declined to block, by card text. (Which was changed after the whole issue about redirecting a bleed, having the Deflection cancelled by a DI or something, and then wanting to block again came up.)

Amongst other things, this means that you cannot play Deflection until after:

- the acting Methuselah has done whatever he or she wants before asking for block attempts (which, while typically not that interesting, can be interesting if a vampire with Blessing of Chaos is on the table)

- every other player on the table has declined (so it comes after Eagle Sight etc.); it's not "after you have declined to block", it's "after blocks are declined". (Although assuming the target changes and the card isn't cancelled, this will rarely be exciting because the block window re-opens on the target change.)
More
20 Nov 2013 05:32 #56757 by AaronC

Thats a bit of a gray area, if c didn't specifically state no block, then he could still play eagles' sight to block, the best way to handle that is to explicitly ask from the person who you know is playing eagles sights if he is going to block before playing your bleed mod.

Is this correct? Do you have to always ask players with :AUS: or :SPI: minions or Anneke (or Enzo!) whether they decline to block? Shouldn't it be their responsibility to chime in at some point?

Obviously it's a nice thing to check when you suspect superior Eagle Sight, but that player shouldn't get to wait to see if a bleed gets pumped.
More
20 Nov 2013 05:49 #56759 by Juggernaut1981
In a tournament, ask the player with AUS if they are blocking. Ask enough times and they'll tell you if they're planning to use Eagle Sights on you...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds