file Can you oust yourself by accidentally playing a card with a pool cost that would kill you?

15 Jan 2014 01:49 - 17 Jan 2014 17:11 #58599 by Dorrinal
In order to answer the OP's question I attempted to answer this related question:
Is it legal to play a card whose cost reduces you to 0 pool?
Yes.

The rules do not forbid it. Normally, that would be sufficient, but here is a troublesome ruling (emphasis mine):

You cannot play a card whose cost cannot be paid. If, between the time a action card is played (or an action is attempted) and the time the cost of the action is paid, you no longer can pay the cost, then you pay as much as you can and the card is burned without effect (or the action has no effect). [TOM 19960514] [RTR 20010710]

But what if the card costs your current pool total - can you play it? Two reasonable interpretations:
  1. You can pay the cost, but it ousts you.
  2. You cannot pay the cost because it would oust you; therefore, the play is not permitted.

Most of you already know that 1 is the correct interpretation. However, that ruling is not found anywhere on site (google "Eternals of Sirius 4 pool"). I feel that the Eternals of Sirius ruling should be made clear on this site, or made part of the rule book.

My judgement of the situation described by the OP: roll back to the player's master phase, and fuck you for not wanting to let them. :)

:trem:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2014 17:11 by Dorrinal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2014 10:47 #58655 by Malachy
Thank you, my good Sir for answering my question w/o WOT!

NC of Hungary

///

More
17 Jan 2014 11:55 #58656 by Pagan
A judge should only step in when absolutely necessary. A player is fully allowed to play any card they can afford, even if the cost reduces them to 0.

"I expected someone to play a Life Boon and keep me in the game."

If the player did not realize they were going to be ousted, oh well you're a bad player and got yourself ousted. A judge doesn't stop a player from acting/blocking an incorrect action that leaves them open to being ousted, they shouldn't stop choice of what Master card to play.

More
19 Jan 2014 09:02 #58681 by Juggernaut1981

"I expected someone to play a Life Boon and keep me in the game."

Aaah now, is this based on some deal? If so, you got suckered. If not, you're an idiot. Either way... you're dead.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds