file Mirror Walk v. Obedience

15 Apr 2014 01:52 #60996 by prestonp
So if I play Mirror Walk at superior "if this action is blocked, the action ends (with no combat)." and they still block, may they play Obedience to remain untapped?

Obedience reads "Only usable when this reacting vampire is about to enter combat with an acting younger vampire."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 02:09 - 15 Apr 2014 02:10 #60997 by Boris The Blade
"action ends" immediately closes all windows. As soon as the effect of Mirror Walk triggers, no more reactions or action modifiers can be played, so no Obedience.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2014 02:10 by Boris The Blade.

More
15 Apr 2014 02:51 #61000 by prestonp
So that means Lucas Halton could not use his ability? "Once each turn, when Lucas blocks an action, he may burn a blood instead of tapping for the successful block (before combat occurs)."

More
15 Apr 2014 03:54 #61002 by Juggernaut1981
Obedience = No.
"Only playable when this reacting vampire is about to enter combat with an acting younger vampire."

Mirror Walk triggers before you would ever enter the combat. Since Obedience does not trigger when the block is successful or would be successful, the action is over before Obedience can be played.

IANPB but...
Lucas Halton = Yes
Mirror walk says "If this action IS blocked." Lucas says "when Lucas blocks an action". Both trigger from the same condition, therefore both effects are usable. I would also expect that Cats Guidance would be playable and any other effect asking "is blocked".

I would expect that Mirror Walk would not stop the effects/playability of:
Bloodstorm of Chorazin
Cats Guidance
Darksight
Diabolic Lure
Extortion
Forced Vigilance @[for]
Internal Recursion
Melange
Mental Maze
Minor Irritation
Revelation of Despair
Shattered Mirror
Undying Thirst
Voice of Madness

@Pascal:
How would Mirror Walk and Set's Call work? (One ends the action at the block, the other insists it is successful)

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
15 Apr 2014 09:44 - 15 Apr 2014 09:46 #61009 by jamesatzephyr

IANPB but...
Lucas Halton = Yes
Mirror walk says "If this action IS blocked." Lucas says "when Lucas blocks an action". Both trigger from the same condition, therefore both effects are usable. I would also expect that Cats Guidance would be playable and any other effect asking "is blocked".

Incorrect.

The acting Methuselah declares that they are blocked (that is, stealth is beaten by intercept). At this point, they have the opportunity to play Change of Target (or similar effects), which goes off:
Only usable when this acting minion is blocked (play before combat, if any).

Which is the same timing as Mirror Walk:
if this action is blocked

After passing, the blocking Methuselah then has the opportunity to use effects that come in then.

On the specific question of Mirror Walk and Cats Guidance:

[LSJ 20090312]

> But after i play MW, i can still play Freak Drive and the blocking
> minion's controler can always play Forced Vigilance or Cats' Guidance,
> right?

No. None of those can be played after the action ends.
No action modifiers or reactions can be played after the action ends.

(Note that "I play MW" is apparently being used as short-hand for "the action ends because of the MW I play". Which might be immediately, since you might be facing +97 intercept and play Mirror Walk to effectively make the action end immediately.)

On the more general point:
[LSJ 20090513] is a discussion between LSJ and Pascal, and gets quite technical.

Essentially, it boils down to the acting Methuselah being able to play "is blocked" effects, then the reacting Methuselah being able to do the same. And this means that - inter alia - Change of Target beats Mental Maze. (Please be careful before cherry-picking from this discussion, because it is quite involved.)

> Acting minion is blocked. This is how I think things are sequenced.
> a1 - Acting minion can play cards or use effects as he is blocked:
> Change of Target, Aching beauty, use the Slave rule, ..

when a block is successful, yes.

> a2 - Reacting minion can play cards as he blocks: Minor Irritation,
> burn acting's blood to the Banshee Ironwail, Voice of Madness, Mental
> Maze,

Yes.

And Mental Maze's timing is:
Only usable when this vampire successfully blocks an ally or a younger vampire (play before combat, if any).

Which would seem to be in the same window as:
when Lucas blocks an action, he may burn a blood instead of tapping for the successful block (before combat occurs).

How would Mirror Walk and Set's Call work? (One ends the action at the block, the other insists it is successful)

Moot. The Set's Call can't be played.
Only usable when this vampire successfully blocks an employ retainer action (play before combat).
Last edit: 15 Apr 2014 09:46 by jamesatzephyr.

More
15 Apr 2014 10:23 #61010 by Juggernaut1981
Lucas Halton is not a reaction but an effect that triggers off a condition.
As usual, it often seems that my biggest bones of contention with all of LSJs rulings come down to premises and not subsequent logic.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds