file Basic Question

14 Oct 2014 16:11 #66579 by Eadan
Basic Question was created by Eadan
I started playing VTES when it was released as Jihad. I lost touch with the game in 1998 and only recently started playing again, with the 1995 card set. Most of the game has come back to me, but I have an odd question:

If I tap to bleed, am I allowed to stack an Action Card on top of that bleed or, is the playing of an Action card its own separate discrete action in the same way that tapping to bleed (as an action) is its own action?

For example, are we allowed to tap, declare a bleed, and then add Computer Hacking to the bleed action?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Eadan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2014 16:50 #66580 by jozxyqk
Replied by jozxyqk on topic Re: Basic Question
Short answer: "No".

Longer answer:
Computer Hacking is an Action Card.

When you want to take an action, you can either choose to take a cardless action (such as the default cardless bleed) *or* you can take an action with a card (such as Computer Hacking, Govern the Unaligned, or recruiting Ossian).

After you declare a bleed of *any* kind, whether it's cardless or carded, then you can add an *action modifier* such as Conditioning to increase the bleed.

More
14 Oct 2014 16:57 #66582 by hardyrange
Replied by hardyrange on topic Re: Basic Question
The (cardless) bleed action and bleed actions like Computer Hacking are two separate actions, and cannot be stacked. You need to declare either one or the other.

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager

More
14 Oct 2014 17:01 #66583 by Malcolm Sprye
Replied by Malcolm Sprye on topic Re: Basic Question
Actions, like computer hacking, replace the default actions. Action Modifiers, like Conditioning modify the action.

An important note on action modifiers (and reactions): only one of each card may be played on a given action by a given minion. So you can't play multiple Lost in Crowds for stealth, or multiple Command the Beast for bleed, or multiple enhanced senses for intercept.

More
14 Oct 2014 17:12 #66586 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Basic Question

For example, are we allowed to tap, declare a bleed, and then add Computer Hacking to the bleed action?

After declaring a bleed action (say, with Computer hacking you mentioned) you still can immediately play an action modifier further modifying the bleed (for example, Bonding, Threats of Conditioning).

You might want to do so if you are cycling your hand to get a stealth card, for example.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
14 Oct 2014 17:36 #66588 by Eadan
Replied by Eadan on topic Re: Basic Question
Perfect! This is what I needed to know. What helped was the distinction between a cardless action (bleed, hunt, etc.) and a card Action.

Many thanks! I may have more questions down the road and hope the community won't be bothered by their rudimentary nature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: D-dennis

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds