file Jabba Jabba Jabba

29 Dec 2014 21:47 #68343 by delangen
Jabba Jabba Jabba was created by delangen
Just a quick verification do/does quick jab, immortal grapple and blood rage all work nice and copacetically. I just saw the card text for the QJ has been errated... the make a hand strike has been taken out.

QJ
Do not replace until after combat.
Strike: hand strike (at strength damage) with first strike. If more than 1 damage is inflicted with this strike, ignore the excess.
IG
Strikes that are not hand strikes may not be used this round (by either combatant). A vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round.
[POT] As above, with an optional press. If another round of combat occurs, that round is at close range; skip the determine range step for that round.
BR
Only usable at close range.
[tha] Strike: hand strike. This damage cannot be prevented by cards that require Fortitude [for] . If the opposing vampire attempts to strike with a weapon this round, he or she does no damage.
[THA] As above, but for strength+1 damage.

thank you kindle

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2014 02:18 #68344 by brandonsantacruz
Quick jab is a strike, so no blood rage

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
30 Dec 2014 14:06 #68370 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: Jabba Jabba Jabba

doesn't any strike that does strength + damage also count as a hand strike? So if QJ does S damage, and no more than one, it's still a hand strike. I'm on my phone, so it's cumbersome to verify in the rulebook for me right now.

More
30 Dec 2014 14:12 - 30 Dec 2014 14:14 #68372 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Jabba Jabba Jabba

doesn't any strike that does strength + damage also count as a hand strike? So if QJ does S damage, and no more than one, it's still a hand strike. I'm on my phone, so it's cumbersome to verify in the rulebook for me right now.

Yes, a strike that does strength damage, that isn't provided by a weapon and that isn't ranged is considered to be a hand strike.

But it's not the problem here. The problem is that both Quick Jab and Blood Fury are strikes on their own, and you can't combine two strikes in one strike.

To achieve what you want, you'd need some card such as Blood of the Cobra:

Name: Blood of the Cobra
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Quietus
[qui] Strike: 1R damage.
[QUI] Strike: ranged. Play a non-ranged strike that requires Quietus [qui] from your hand and use that strike as if it were ranged (if the chosen strike is a hand strike, the hand strike's damage is not ranged and this strike is not a hand strike).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 30 Dec 2014 14:14 by Ankha.

More
30 Dec 2014 14:16 #68373 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Jabba Jabba Jabba

doesn't any strike that does strength + damage also count as a hand strike?

Almost, but not quite. The definition of a hand strike is:
Hand Strike: any non-ranged, non-weapon strike that deals damage based on the striking minion's strength, or any minion's non-ranged damage-dealing innate strike.

The non-ranged is important for (for example) Earthshock. The "minion's non-ranged damage-dealing innate strike" part is, I think, now redundant, as it was basically there for allies who didn't know about strength, having been printed before it was invented. I think pretty much everything there has been errata-ed or MRP-ed into the current template.

In the case of Quick Jab, there is no difference between "Strike: make a hand strike at strength damage...", though - it's the same with or without.

LSJ went back and forth on the templating. At one point, he used "Strike: strength damage" to indicate a hand strike. In other sets, he used "Strike: make a hand strike at strength damage..." I vaguely remember him saying that he thought the first version was clear enough, but that he got feedback from players which caused him to use the latter as being slightly clearer.

More
30 Dec 2014 14:32 #68375 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: Jabba Jabba Jabba
thanks, I knew there were a few exceptions to the rule.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds