file Tangle Atropos' Hand vs. failed block attempts (an impulse and timing question)

10 Feb 2017 22:38 #80654 by jamesatzephyr

Player B attempts to block with a minion, may play zero or more cards — player A has impulse to play Tangle after each card is played if any (as does the rest of the table) or can wait until no more cards are played. Either way they will receive the impulse again and a chance to play Tangle during the block attempt.

Not exactly. You've sort of got the impulse working backwards in your explanation.

To take a simple example, the game is down to two Methuselahs.

Acting Methuselah: I bleed you with Gratiano, using Dominate Kine for +1 bleed and +1 stealth. Do you block?
Defending Methuselah: I (cardlessly) attempt to block with this Valkyrie.
The impulse returns to the acting Methuselah before the defending Methuselah can play a card.
AM: Pass.
The impulse goes to the DM.
DM: I play Sonar.
The impulse returns to the AM.
Impulse to DM.
DM: Pass.
Block successful.

Now, if the acting Methuselah wants to "wait until no more cards are played", that may get awkward for them.

AM: Gratiano bleeds you with Dominate Kine. Do you block?
DM: Valkyrie attempts to block.
Impulse to AM.
DM: Pass.
Everyone has now passed in this window (we're down to two players), and so the block has failed. The impulse doesn't return to the AM. In the words of the Detailed Play Summary: "Repeat a,b above until neither minion wishes to play a card." The AM didn't want to play a card, and neither did the DM. So you're done.

Technically, if you have more than two players, you also need the other players to all pass to close the window - meaning they decline to modify intercept or stealth with cards like a media location, Draba, Ignis Fatuus, or Paris Opera House.

Along similar lines, if the AM were to decline to play a card before range in combat (passing) and the DM were then to decline also, the AM can't then say "Oh, now I'm playing Carrion Crows." (Unless something weird happened like a third player playing Nosferatu Putrescence, handing the impulse back to him.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds