file Option A vs B, where to begin?

22 May 2018 21:12 #87346 by brandonsantacruz

I'm thinking the point of having two options was to gauge the interest in actually altering combat structure in the name of clarity, with option A a big fat "leave combat alone" and option B a "yes, lets change combat for simplicity's sake".

Why guess? The VEKN can tell us what they are getting at. They don't have to, but Ankha did start both of those posts.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2018 22:05 #87351 by jamesatzephyr

THEY CANT MAKE THINGS CLEARER AND EASIER TO UNDERSTAND!1!!! THAT WOULD CONFUSE NEW PLAYERS!!!!11! WE MUST CONTINUE TO HAVE A POORLY DEFINED SYSTEM SO WE DONT CONFUSE PEOPLE!!!one!!

The rules can provide greater clarity on the current system, with the current cards (the Detailed Play Summary does that, and could be made more user friendly). It's not necessary to up-end card text on dozens and dozens of staple combat cards to do that. Calling something "Beginning of maneuvers" vs "At the start of maneuvers" isn't clearer or easier than "Before range is determined", if the two are explained in the same way. Combat has these steps, in the following order. Cards that say "Before range is determined" go here, or Cards that say "On the commencement of jostling for approach vectorisation" (because inventing unnecessary new terms that are not used anywhere else in the game, including in this part of combat, is apparently now clearer, for reasons I don't understand) - it's the same thing.

It's not necessary to do this and up-end how dozens of cards work. For example:

- you can clarify the order in which cards are played without making a maneuver cancel the effect of Immortal Grapple

- you can clarify the order in which cards are played without giving the acting Methuselah the ability to maneuver to long range from a .44 Magnum, before the opposing Methuselah has the opportunity to play Drawing Out the Beast (preventing equipment usage, and long range maneuvering)

- you can clarify the order in which cards are played without giving people the ability to end combat with Alpha Glint (or any similar pre-range combat ends effect), after maneuvers have been wasted

- you can clarify the order in which combat cards are played, without meaning that the acting minion can play a maneuver to go to range before the opposing minion can play superior Terror Frenzy to make playing that card too expensive (combat cards cost an additional blood)

And so on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Molloy

More
22 May 2018 23:10 #87356 by DanielG
Hello, new player here!

As a new player, only played a handful of "demo" games and have a small collection (5 starters) can I participate in the discussion or is it reserved for more veterans players?

I admit I haven't played with some of the cards mentioned in the thread except for Earth Meld as it has a nice simple text (and had like 4 of them in one starter :P )

More
22 May 2018 23:55 #87357 by brandonsantacruz
Hi Daniel,
Sure! What have been the easiest or most confusing parts of the game since you have started? The leadership at VEKN is considering some changes to the way combat works, or at least is worded, and you may have some fresh insight.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanielG

More
23 May 2018 00:18 #87358 by ReverendRevolver
James, I'm pretty sure self biased was being sarcastic with a satirical nerd rage caps lock tantrum. If not, I'm deeply confused.

And given the over the top crazy in the other threads, they will probably run an option A while testing variants of B.x

Daniel, absolutely. Your insight as a new player is very valuable, and incredibly relevant to this topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, DanielG

More
23 May 2018 01:12 #87360 by self biased
on a more serious note, I said something similar in one of the other threads, but "Before range is determined" is ambiguous, as it implies that this window exists until after each minion passes the impulse during the maneuvers segment. Yes, I know that it mentions this timing window in the rulebook, but words also mean things.

The cleanest way that I can think of is call the part of combat the "Determine Range Step" and change the text in question to "Before the Determine Range Step." that makes that timing window significantly clearer, and is similiar enough to hopefully not be too confusing to people

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds