file Censorship?

14 Mar 2012 16:42 - 14 Mar 2012 16:43 #25838 by Reyda
Replied by Reyda on topic Re: Censorship?

Yeeee! Censorship!

Most people who complain about censorship don't know what REAL censorship is.
I was born in a country where making the slightest offending statement about an official or a military police officer leads you to jail with a good bruising. I can't help but smile when i see this thread, sorry. You are making a big case out of nothing... does removing swearing makes a forum better ? Maybe. In all case, it's not real censorship... :whistle:

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 16:43 by Reyda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, D-dennis, Ohlmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2012 17:48 #25840 by ICL
Replied by ICL on topic Re: Censorship?
I find it hard to believe that someone wants to hold up Usenet as an example of how discussion should take place.

As for moderated forums, they are all different. For one game, it's common for someone to post to a thread over a year old. On another, someone doing that (or posting to a thread with no post for a month or two) will have the post deleted, the thread will get locked, and the moderator will issue a public admonishment to create a new topic rather than cause "thread necromancy".

I see the ideal being some level of moderation between extremes.

More
14 Mar 2012 18:16 #25846 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Censorship?

Yeeee! Censorship!

Most people who complain about censorship don't know what REAL censorship is.
I was born in a country where making the slightest offending statement about an official or a military police officer leads you to jail with a good bruising. I can't help but smile when i see this thread, sorry. You are making a big case out of nothing... does removing swearing makes a forum better ? Maybe. In all case, it's not real censorship... :whistle:

Actually I wasn't the on making a new thread out of it. That was done by a moderator and as I am unable to delete my own threads it's here for everyone.

I just commented on it because I think it's pathetic that a moderator picks sides in an argument between two players before it even starts and explicitly makes this clear for everyone to read. I then responded to the posts claiming it was mere moderation, which it was not. If it was moderation, it would have been deleted without further notice. Which it was not.

I find it hard to believe that someone wants to hold up Usenet as an example of how discussion should take place.

Why is this weird? It worked for 17 years. In fact, one of the first threads ever posted on this forum, started by Peter Bakija, was people agreeing we didn't need moderation other than deleting spambot threads.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds