file Censorship?

13 Mar 2012 10:41 #25730 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Order of ending effects?

Nah. Moderation is enforcing rules if they have been broken. Since the forum rules don't have any rules about bad language

Damnans already linked
forum rules, which in fact state:
When posting on V:EKN, it's important to always be polite and use common sense

"Polite" should be enough, for everyone using common sense, to understand
that bad words aren't desiderable at all here, and indeed forum rules reflect that
Some tolerance, by common sense, is always given in this respect but going blatantly against netiquette with vulgar conversation won't be tolerated

thanks

So what gives you the right to determine what is and is not polite? Moderator status on a meaningless forum? If it';s common sense (as you imply), will you now also start editing all KevinM's impolite posts, which is about a third of them, the one he will likely post in this thread not included? And what about mine? Like this one maybe?

FWIW (which is, I'm full aware, about naught), I didn't think the edited post was out of line or impolite if you actually read the context.

Here is what happened:

Player A implicately accuses an unknown "local" player of broadcasting and enforcing incorrect rules and does so in a rather bitter tone.

Player B, implying he knows more about the situation, responds in a "what the fuck are you talking about" way and gets modded for being impolite.

Don't make me laugh. That's not moderation, that's a moderator choosing sides and abusing his forum permissions to cover it. Other people call that censorship.

IF and only IF you think this forum is not the right place for this little conversation between two posters, then you simply delete both and be done with it. You don't get to choose sides and leave what suits you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2012 23:56 #25778 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Order of ending effects?

So what gives you the right to determine what is and is not polite?

Because it's their forum. They made it, they own it. Do you disagree with this?

If it were MY forum, I'd allow every word and statement to be made and not censor any of it until a personal attack was made, and then I'd delete the entire post, not revise it, and I'd explain to the person why their post was deleted. But it's not my forum and I don't run anything here.

And other than your continued attacks on me -- notice how you attacked me first? -- I don't see anything on VEKN.net that needs to be deleted.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
14 Mar 2012 00:17 #25780 by Jeff Kuta
The Forum Rules now state this:

Flaming

"Flaming" is a broad category consisting of various forms of malicious attacks directed at another person. Flaming can consist of, but isn’t limited to, racism, sexism, trolling (attempting to get another user to flame you), derogatory statements, inappropriate language, or other forms of communication that lack the manners and decency needed when posting on this forum. Flaming is not allowed in posts, signatures, avatars, locations, custom titles, etc.

I suppose the "what the fuck are you talking about" statement could be encompassed in this category of offenses. Profanity generally is considered inappropriate, particularly when directed at another person.

Just for comparison, FIFA says that a send off (red card) is warranted for:
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

YMMV

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
14 Mar 2012 05:04 #25790 by Juggernaut1981
Think this forum is restrictive?
As a teacher in NSW Australia, I can get officially reprimanded for using the language you have used on this forum in front of a student. So asking you to tone it down, play nice and cut the swearing isn't that much to ask really.

It's free to be nice.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascal Bertrand, Lönkka

More
14 Mar 2012 06:20 #25795 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Order of ending effects?

So what gives you the right to determine what is and is not polite?

Because it's their forum. They made it, they own it. Do you disagree with this?

Given the purpose of the forum and its history on usenet, yes.

If it were MY forum, I'd allow every word and statement to be made and not censor any of it until a personal attack was made, and then I'd delete the entire post, not revise it, and I'd explain to the person why their post was deleted. But it's not my forum and I don't run anything here.

Exactly.

And other than your continued attacks on me -- notice how you attacked me first? -- I don't see anything on VEKN.net that needs to be deleted.

I did that on purpose to get the point accross. Also: continued?

More
14 Mar 2012 14:14 #25829 by brandonsantacruz

The forum software allows for banning certain words. This does not mean that such banning is used. As for rules, "polite" explicitly implies avoiding the use of profanities.

This raises an interesting question: do you know what the word "explicit" means? I don't think that it applies to this situation, and the phrase "explicitly implies" is an oxymoron.

Outside of public institutions (i.e. government), certain homes, and many workplaces (depending on their stated policies), some profanity is seen as acceptable. When it comes to insults, I agree with Kevin that that's where a line is crossed.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds