file Locking mirddes' topics of ideas

02 Dec 2012 00:33 #42188 by extrala

The best way to discourage someone's participation is to ignore him.

After reading mirddes response and yours, I have decided (for myself) do so, until mirddes changes style and content of his posts. Thanks, Aaron, for the reminder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2012 02:03 #42192 by mirddes
discourage someone's participation

seems rather antisocial.

More
02 Dec 2012 05:46 #42197 by direwolf

seems rather antisocial.

The first two responses by ReverendRevolver and Extrala were intended to encourage your participation by answering your question and pointing out things you could do (or not do) to increase your participation.

The point that AaronC made was that individuals, and the community as a whole, can ignore topics on the forums.

I have made topics that have gotten no attention. Often I ignore topics that I do not feel the need to respond.

The topic you linked was locked for good reason. Not because the subject should not be discussed, but because the subject was not being discussed.

The original post in that thread was confusing, i had to read it three times, and read the responses to fully understand it. (Tip: the subject is not part of the post, do not continue your thought from the subject line to the body of the post.)

The second problem, is that there were no constructive responses to your original post. Your idea could have been genius, but the 2/3 criticisms in the responses were directed toward YOU not your original post (and the third post addressed your idea, then emphatically agreed with the other two posts.)

When a forum discussion veers off-topic, or becomes personal in nature is when threads get locked. I would advise the forum moderators to include a reason why a thread is locked. It's diplomatic.

At the same time, I advise you, Mirddes, to spend more time reading and thinking, and less time posting every idea. I have posted many an idea, most of them not well thought out. From my experience, even your bad ideas need to have an explanation. Describe the WHY as well as the WHAT. (who, when and where are your own goddam business!)

Also, humor helps. A lot. :)

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mirddes

More
02 Dec 2012 06:27 #42200 by KevinM

seems rather antisocial.

What's antisocial is that you run into a room, scream "Fire!" and then run out.

If you posted your idea AS WELL AS an explanation of why you posted your idea, what you think the effect of your idea would be, how you think the community might react to your idea, and why you think your idea is good and/or necessary, then you might not be ostracized.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, direwolf

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds