file Disable Smileys?

24 Jan 2011 23:40 #765 by bakija
Disable Smileys? was created by bakija
Is there a way to generally disable the little graphic smileys? I have looked all over, and have failed to find a box to check. I hate little graphic smileys. A lot. And whenever I type : - ), but without the extra spaces, I get a stupid little yellow smiley face. When I just want a : - ). But without the spaces. And just now I was writing a list, and foolishly used "B )" but without the extra space. And got a stupid little yellow smiley face. But with sunglasses. Which made me want to punch something.

I realize that some folks *really* like animated smiley faces in their web forums, with little mowhawks and throwing little animated secret devil signs and disintigrating things with little animated laser beams and whatever. But I'm really not one of those people. And while I'd never tell someone that they shouldn't have stupid little animated smileys in their posts (although it does always make me think a little less of them...), I would really like the option to click a little box and have them all just not ever show up by accident in the stuff I post.

Sorry for the foaming rant.

I miss usenet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2011 00:13 #770 by Dorrinal
Replied by Dorrinal on topic Re: Disable Smileys?
Seconded. They're a real pain in the ass on a forum like this where (8) (eight in parentheses) is common in deck lists. Kind of glad to see it's a B instead of 8. :) <-- I hope you love that one, Peter.

:trem:

More
25 Jan 2011 11:50 #776 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Disable Smileys?
I don't think that's possible with the current forum software. I understand the need for text without smilies. If some smily codes interfere with the VTES stuff, let me know, and I'll see if those smilie codes could be changed.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
25 Jan 2011 13:51 #783 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Disable Smileys?
On "classical" php forums, you have a checkbox to deactivate the use of smilies in your message (it doesn't apply to the messages of others).

The other feature that is lacking is the "preview" button that I use a lot before posting.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
25 Jan 2011 14:18 #784 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Disable Smileys?
There is a preview button that opens a preview frame either next to or under the textarea that updates constantly.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
25 Jan 2011 15:47 #786 by bakija
Replied by bakija on topic Re: Disable Smileys?

I don't think that's possible with the current forum software.

Bummer. As noted, a lot of other forums have a check box in your profile that is just a blanket "disable smileys" command. That doesn't make them disappear from the forum, it just makes it so when you accidentally (see: B) ) or purposefully (see: :-) ) put smiley code in your message, the system ignores it and just leaves you with the symbols you typed, and doesn't auto-replace them with little yellow smiley face cartoons. The BGG site, for example, has this option.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds