file Disable Smileys?

25 Jan 2011 17:02 #789 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: Disable Smileys?
How do modern smileys hurt, other than accidentically typing one?
I think they look nice. :whistle: <-- see? :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2011 21:55 #802 by bakija
Replied by bakija on topic Re: Disable Smileys?

They don't hurt. I just think they are incredibly stupid and annoying. I realize that this is completely irrational of me, but it is how I operate. A great deal of my endless resistance to moving from usenet to a web forum is based completely in things like graphic smileys and automatically being subscribed to threads and the like.

I just don't like them. I don't like looking at them. I don't like when they show up in my posts. I'm not insane enough to want to demand that *other* people don't use them (although I'd like to think that people have enough good sense on their own to avoid them...), but as other web forums have a way to set your preferences such that graphic smileys don't show up in the posts that you make, I figured it was worth checking to see if that option was available to this forum.

More
26 Jan 2011 07:37 #806 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: Disable Smileys?

They don't hurt. I just think they are incredibly stupid and annoying. I realize that this is completely irrational of me, but it is how I operate. A great deal of my endless resistance to moving from usenet to a web forum is based completely in things like graphic smileys and automatically being subscribed to threads and the like.

I just don't like them. I don't like looking at them. I don't like when they show up in my posts. I'm not insane enough to want to demand that *other* people don't use them (although I'd like to think that people have enough good sense on their own to avoid them...), but as other web forums have a way to set your preferences such that graphic smileys don't show up in the posts that you make, I figured it was worth checking to see if that option was available to this forum.

I see. I do not like those largish animated smileys (with guns, pac man, etc.).
Thankfully we don't have them here. : )

More
27 Jan 2011 09:27 #834 by alf
Replied by alf on topic Re: Disable Smileys?

Sorry for the foaming rant.

I miss usenet.

I like.
Oh, this isn't facebook, right? Sorry.
-alf

<INSERT CLEVER QUOTATION HERE>

More
29 Jan 2011 15:23 - 29 Jan 2011 15:26 #937 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Disable Smileys?

automatically being subscribed to threads and the like.

Indeed so.

Then again, it is not that difficult to unsubcribe immediately after posting.
Granted it would be nicer if you weren't forced to do that, but it ain't that big a deal.

I'm not sure but when you do a "quick reply" the automatic subrscription doesn't necessarily work.

EDIT: Posting this mail didn't subscribe me to this thread. It would seem that nowadays you'd have to check the "subscribe" box in order to subscribe to a tread. Which is good!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 29 Jan 2011 15:26 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
29 Jan 2011 23:45 #940 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Disable Smileys?
I indeed disabled subscription as default, according to the poll results. See www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/17-site-a-forum-feedback/792-poll--default-topic-subscription-behaviour#815 .

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds