file Cause and Effect - S02E06

21 Feb 2012 21:39 - 21 Feb 2012 21:42 #23816 by Forhead
Greetings!

The sixth episode is now done and uploaded to youtube. We hope that you enjoy it. This time we talked about recursion, with the biggest focus on the Ashur Tablets and Liquidation combo. Next episode will air Tuesday 28th of february at 20:00 CET.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Warning: Spoiler!

Isak Esbjörnsson Bjärmark
Last edit: 21 Feb 2012 21:42 by Forhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2012 02:03 #23821 by Klaital
Hmm weird, I am sure I posted a reply already earlier... but can't see it... anyway, it was good analysis as always, I was just a bit surprised that didn't see any mention about Carlotta or Pochtli who were pretty much the pioneers of recursion.

More
22 Feb 2012 03:15 #23824 by KevinM
Yeah, I do notice that the C&E podcasts suffer somewhat from being hyper-focussed. It's either that the guys don't really want to discuss the topic broadly and completely, or they just all think alike and need someone that doesn't think like them to help them with a show outline. ;)

Still, great information and thank god they speak English. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xaddam

More
22 Feb 2012 05:38 #23826 by Xaddam

Hmm weird, I am sure I posted a reply already earlier... but can't see it... anyway, it was good analysis as always, I was just a bit surprised that didn't see any mention about Carlotta or Pochtli who were pretty much the pioneers of recursion.

Indeed, at least Pochtli and also Summon Soul crossed my mind. But I've never seen either been used, so we decided against talking about it. All in the interest of conserving time, which is the biggest critique we've gotten. Carlotta never occurred to me. Though, her recursion is kind of good, but without multiact I can't imagine her being competitive as part of some serious recursion tech.

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro

More
22 Feb 2012 06:16 #23828 by KevinM
Hmmm. Perhaps a good compromise for the future, would be to mention for 1-2min the forefathers of the current topic, just go get some perspective as to why and what you're discussing now.

But I probably shouldn't critique, I'm not part of the podcast. and it's damn good as-is. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
22 Feb 2012 09:39 #23841 by wastaz

...snip...
But I've never seen either been used, so we decided against talking about it.
...snip...

Disclaimer, I haven't had time to watch this episode yet.
Anyway...

Actually, I'd see this as a great reason to actually -do- talk about it. It's all good and nice to talk about things that everyone knows about, ie. ashurs/liquidation. However the real interesting part should be talking about the corner case cards that isn't included in 50% of all tournament decks.

"Everyone" (stupid word, but you get what I mean (I hope)) knows about ashurs/liquidation and sudario refraction. I'd see this as a reason to talk -less- about those cards since you don't really watch this kind of show if you're not already pretty into the game (this is not a "vtes for newbies"-show after all :) although maybe that would be a good idea...anyway...).

Here you have a forum to really show off your crazy ideas, interesting theories that might/might not work, cards that gets forgotten, and people will listen to you and start to think about doing interesting stuff. You could use this as a sort of "catalyst" for combatting deck building stagnation.

Sure, summon soul is horrible from a pure recursion view, but its inferior is "gain 2 pool". People play art scam, and that's just gain 2 pool and nothing else, so shouldn't summon soul in a way be "better"? (Ok, it requires NEC whereas art scam only requires a !TOR...)

tl;dr
Covering "mainstream" and "known combos" is good. But don't miss out on the "wonky sidelines" because if the entire vtes community suddenly decides that sudario or ashurs is the only viable recursion then we might be missing out on potential interesting deck ideas. Please don't just cover the trends, _be_ the trendsetters/inspiration for the trendsetters! ;)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds