file Time frame about cancelling cards

23 Feb 2012 13:28 - 23 Feb 2012 13:30 #23957 by Surreal
I am trying to understand timing when cancelling cards. What other players are allowed to do in "as it is played" time frame?

There is ruling that you can't tap Dreams or Erciyes Fragments when master card is played to get Sudden. I guess you can cancel master card with Sascha Vykos [ADV] ability if you draw a Sudden.

What about for minion cards. Can you tap Dreams or Erciyes Fragments to get Direct Intervention to cancel a minion card when as it is played.

Can you tap dreams to draw extra combat cards to cancel an aim card (like Target Vitals)?

Also what is difference between cancelling effect of card and cancelling card? Watenda can cancel the effect of a combat card. Is "a vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round." part of immortals grapples effect. What part of card is considered a effect?

Wondering also situations of "as action is announced" time frame.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 13:30 by Surreal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 13:35 #23959 by Klaital
The 'a vampire may play onle one x' is only looked at by any further copies of that same card. So you cannot play another IG in this case since the new IG sees that you have already played IG this round.

Note however that bleed modifiers are worded differently, so if say conditioning is canceled, the acting minion CAN play another action modifier to boost the bleed (though not another conditioning since you can only play one of each action mod per action)

More
23 Feb 2012 13:40 - 23 Feb 2012 13:41 #23961 by Surreal

The 'a vampire may play onle one x' is only looked at by any further copies of that same card. So you cannot play another IG in this case since the new IG sees that you have already played IG this round.

Note however that bleed modifiers are worded differently, so if say conditioning is canceled, the acting minion CAN play another action modifier to boost the bleed (though not another conditioning since you can only play one of each action mod per action)

I know all that. I just find it weird that text in Immortal Grapple: "A vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round." is not part of the effect of a card. Just wondering what is effect? All card text in card or just some part? But those other questions I made are more important.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 13:41 by Surreal.

More
23 Feb 2012 13:45 #23962 by Ankha

I am trying to understand timing when cancelling cards. What other players are allowed to do in "as it is played" time frame?

There is ruling that you can't tap Dreams or Erciyes Fragments when master card is played to get Sudden. I guess you can cancel master card with Sascha Vykos [ADV] ability if you draw a Sudden.

No. You must handle cancellation first. Then you draw.
groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/969ebdc5009c8af5/62681f2cc3190139?lnk=gst&q=sascha+sudden+author:lsj&hl=fr#62681f2cc3190139

What about for minion cards. Can you tap Dreams or Erciyes Fragments to get Direct Intervention to cancel a minion card when as it is played.

No, same as above.

Can you tap dreams to draw extra combat cards to cancel an aim card (like Target Vitals)?

No, same as above.

Also what is difference between cancelling effect of card and cancelling card? Watenda can cancel the effect of a combat card. Is "a vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round." part of immortals grapples effect. What part of card is considered a effect?

It's the same.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
23 Feb 2012 13:45 #23963 by Klaital
I think the main difference between canceling a card or canceling effect of a card is that if you cancel the effect the cost of the canceled card is still paid.

Same rules apply for canceling both minion and master cards so no you can't get a DI with dreams to cancel a minion card. I also don't think you can try to draw more combat cards to cancel an aim, you need to have them in hand already.

More
23 Feb 2012 13:51 - 23 Feb 2012 13:52 #23965 by Pascal Bertrand

Use/play cards or effects that read "as X is played" and/or Wakes: Rulebook 1.6.1

That ruling is more of a clarification. Dreams doesn't read "as X is played", so you can't tap it as X is played.
Regarding Sascha: I updated his cardtext to make it clearer you don't. [LSJ 20051122] and [RTR 20111202]
See also Sascha's cardtext:

Name: Sascha Vykos, The Angel of Caine
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Tzimisce
Level: Advanced
Group: 2
Capacity: 8
Discipline: ani dom AUS THA VIC
Advanced, Sabbat Archbishop of Washington, D.C.: If Sascha is ready, you may draw a card from your library {after} another Methuselah plays a master card.
[MERGED] Sabbat cardinal.

The rulebook section 1.6.1 applies to all cards. So: Can't use the Fragments to fetch a DI to cancel an action card as it is played.

No. As above.

Rulebook Section 11

“Cancel a card”: A "canceled" card has no effect, but it is still considered played. Unless explicitly written, cost for the card is paid. If the card was a strike card, the minion who played it must choose a strike, which might come from another strike card. If the card was an action card, the minion doesn’t tap (he doesn’t pay for the action card), and can play the same action card again.

All the cardtext of a canceled card is skipped.
Regarding Immortal Grapple: Yes, if you DI/Watenda it, the part where you can only play one per round doesn't happen. (But remember that you can't play a second one, because that second one's "You can only play one per round" text prohibits it from being played).

Wondering also situations of "as action is announced" time frame.

Do you have examples?
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 13:52 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds