file Vampire: the Embrace (initiation cards)

17 Jul 2012 08:13 - 12 Feb 2020 12:38 #33302 by Ankha
Hi,

After many demo games, I've realized that the game needs a simplified version for new players. New players are often lost in the multitude of things to quickly assimilate and can't focus on basic mecanisms such as stealth vs intercept when they must be careful at the same time of disciplines, inferior/superior effects.
I've designed the following cards in order to focus on action/reaction, combat and political actions, and by explicitely describe the card (things I would do orally previously and which leads to some loss of time)

There will be 4 decks (Tremere, Brujah, Ventrue and Follower of Set) whose decklist will be provided later. The idea is to familiarize new players with existing cards (though some have a slightly altered effect) and coherent clan tactics.

You'll find a printable version at www.vekn.fr/VTEM/vtemcrypt.pdf and www.vekn.fr/VTEM/vtemlib.pdf .

The rules are:
- 30 starting pool (there is no card allowing to regain pool, except the Parity Shift)
- 4 influences even on first turn
- no master phase
- no additional strikes nor press
- no discipline

Here's a low-quality preview:

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 12 Feb 2020 12:38 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, extrala, ruiza97, the1andonlime, self biased, Eius P, astronfestmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2012 09:11 - 17 Jul 2012 09:56 #33304 by Boris The Blade
Great job :cheer:

Maybe you could improve the consistency on the wording: on the first page of minion cards there are parentheses missing around the redundant requirements (can't play intercept or stealth if not yet needed can't prevent if hasn't taken damage,...). Undead Strength has a Strike step requirement but the other strikes don't. Maybe add a requirement that Bonding can only be used during a bleed action?

Theft of Vitae is completely broken in your card pool: the only strike that works at both close and long range, brings a total gain of 3 (burn 2 blood and gain 2 blood) when all other cards only do +1, unavoidable since you don't have dodge or combat ends,... If you want to keep combat simple, I think you should remove it because even at inferior, it is still too much better than Undead Strength/Skin of Rock.

Hesha probably needs a boost. His special is not good in a game without blood dolls and where only 3 cards cost blood. Maybe switch to another FoS?
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 09:56 by Boris The Blade.

More
17 Jul 2012 10:31 #33310 by Ankha
Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the card texts for more consistency (a fresh eye is always useful for that).

Theft of Vitae is completely broken in your card pool: the only strike that works at both close and long range, brings a total gain of 3 (burn 2 blood and gain 2 blood) when all other cards only do +1, unavoidable since you don't have dodge or combat ends,... If you want to keep combat simple, I think you should remove it because even at inferior, it is still too much better than Undead Strength/Skin of Rock.

It needs some balancing, true. Originally, it was strength+2 for Undead Strength (which may be too much), and steal 1 blood for Theft (I'll switch back to 1 blood).
Don't forget the decks will be balanced in quantity (there'll be more undead strength than theft).

Hesha probably needs a boost. His special is not good in a game without blood dolls and where only 3 cards cost blood. Maybe switch to another FoS?

The goal was to introduce some different effects on vampire, I don't think it will change much on a game that Hesha's special is not that useful.

Prince of Paris, France

More
17 Jul 2012 10:32 #33311 by Juggernaut1981
I think there other ways to simplify the game for new players. My first recommendation is to give them a simple OBF-DEM deck with few moving parts but a handful of useful cards (e.g. Blood Dolls) and some simple combat cards (No Trace, Lucky Blow being examples). It teaches one of the things many players need to remember: Prey is Left. It also teaches: Action, Action Modifiers, Bleed, Stealth and Intercept. They can find it boring after a handful of games, however it's a great start.

I then like to add in the next stage by handing them a moderately forward facing Ventrue deck. This allows me to mix in FOR prevent as an aspect of combat and the idea of reactions such as Deflection. It also adds some interest because they are now using other cards (e.g. Govern the Unaligned) and even cards such as Seduction and possibly Freak Drive.

Finally something direct, but also more complex is the next stage: Toreador Vote Decks. Usually using mild static votes and a strong vote-push angle and mostly exploiting KRC and Con Boon as the key votes.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans

More
17 Jul 2012 12:01 #33312 by Ankha
It's basically what the demo decks do (badly) but it's already too much to assimilate for new players, not talking about the length of the demo games.

The goal here is to make it a very quick game to understand (everything is written on cards) and to play.

Prince of Paris, France

More
17 Jul 2012 14:46 #33324 by Damnans

It's basically what the demo decks do (badly) but it's already too much to assimilate for new players, not talking about the length of the demo games.

The goal here is to make it a very quick game to understand (everything is written on cards) and to play.

The length of a demo game can be shortened if you only allow one or two learning players in such a game. The other players should be experienced ones, of course. And there should be one non-playing person per learning player to explain them everything they have to do each turn and out of turn.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds