file Vampire: the Embrace (initiation cards)

17 Jul 2012 15:17 #33329 by ReverendRevolver
i like this angle in some regard. when i would teach new people how to play magic years ago, it would be all vanilla creatures, simple instants and sorceries, and mono color decks.

what i don't like about this angle is its by itself. this should be game 1. then add the rest of combat (presses, addiditonals, maybe dodge, but maybe not s:ce, it takes away the attrition purpose of combat). i've found combat easier to teach than politics with vtes.

then with the third game, add disciplines. this would basically mean the players add more combat cards to their decks after the first round of the demo, and switch out their deck for the full rules demo going into the third round. maybe winner gets an actual starter or something if demos are done at a convention. its nearly impossible to get a full grasp on the game in less than a few weeks, and way longer to really comprehend it. but getting all the basics down in the course of a few hours would probably draw in more players than just using demo decks and having the whole mess on their plate at once.

masters etc could be taught later, since "you play one each turn right after you untap" is simple enough for those, and pool gain is self explanitory if they've played a few simplified games already.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2012 04:29 #33375 by Ankha

It's basically what the demo decks do (badly) but it's already too much to assimilate for new players, not talking about the length of the demo games.

The goal here is to make it a very quick game to understand (everything is written on cards) and to play.

The length of a demo game can be shortened if you only allow one or two learning players in such a game. The other players should be experienced ones, of course. And there should be one non-playing person per learning player to explain them everything they have to do each turn and out of turn.

This requires a lot of people for a demo, when usually I'm alone.
As a new player (in other games), I don't really like to have someone behind me telling me what I can do or not. That's why I prefered to move it on the cards so people can make decision by themselves.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
18 Jul 2012 05:49 #33383 by Juggernaut1981
I wouldn't have them "hovering over and directing every decision" but more of a "1 per player vizier" where you can. If you can't, then get another player (just one more) who can be the "vizier" to the others. Just someone to point out stuff like "You can't play that one right now" or "Yes, the card does what you just whispered to me", etc.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
18 Jul 2012 07:00 #33390 by Ankha
That's an other way of doing things, requiring some extra players.
Do you think the cards are not enough self-explanatory to allow players to figure out by themselves how to play them?
Basically, I want to replace your "vizier" by printed text.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
18 Jul 2012 07:21 #33391 by Juggernaut1981
I think that having the "vizier" gives them experience of the 'real game' with help. Instead of like the old "D&D for beginners" and "D&D Advanced"...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
18 Jul 2012 07:27 #33392 by alek
I wouldn't remove disciplines from basics. This should be implemented from the very begining. It's one of the fundamentals of vtes. If it's too complicated for your players remove inferior/ superior but stick to discipline requirement

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds