question-circle Pay-to-Print for Cards

04 Oct 2011 06:30 #11450 by alek
Replied by alek on topic Re: Pay-to-Print for Cards
good idea, but I think it's not that simple because of license issues

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2011 06:46 #11452 by PetriWessman
Yeah, I'd love this option, but I'm not sure about the legal side of things -- would the licensing get in the way here?

More
04 Oct 2011 07:34 #11457 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Pay-to-Print for Cards

GMT Games has it's "500 List". Basically boardgames that are no longer in current production can get put on the "500 List" by enthusiasts. People can then pre-order any game on the "500 List". When there are at least 500 pre-orders, then GMT produces a 500-copy print run of the game and then waits for the pre-orders to climb back to 500 before printing the next run.

I went to the website, but couldn't find anywhere the fact they would actually print cards.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
04 Oct 2011 08:08 #11459 by Juggernaut1981
I'm not saying GMT would print the cards for us. I'm saying that GMT runs a system where if enough people pre-purchase a game, they will make a print run of the game and send it out to those who pre-purchased.

Why not do the same for VTES? VEKN sets up a pre-purchase system and waits until they have orders for say "500 boxes of cards" then they print a run of cards and wait again until there is another lot of X pre-orders...

It means that the VEKN doesn't need to either:
a) carry stock they can't sell
b) generate cash up front and speculate on how many boxes would be sold

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
04 Oct 2011 11:09 #11469 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Pay-to-Print for Cards

I'm not saying GMT would print the cards for us. I'm saying that GMT runs a system where if enough people pre-purchase a game, they will make a print run of the game and send it out to those who pre-purchased.

I still don't understand who will print the cards. Or is a "print run" something different than printing the cards?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
04 Oct 2011 12:05 #11476 by Mael
Replied by Mael on topic Re: Pay-to-Print for Cards
The concept here is not to get GMT to print the cards, it's to discuss the idea of funding the printing of cards by getting fans to pre-buy the product.
The company Juggernaut is mentioning is simply an example of a company that is doing something similar to his suggestion, a separate company would need to be found to do the actual printing.
If you take a look at www.kickstarter.com you can see various other small / independent games (and other projects) that have or are pursuing funding through a similar means. This page shows that 57 games have achieved funding of over $10k from this, with the highest game on the list getting $76k. But again, that site also isn't going to print the product for you, it's just a way to get financial backing from fans for a product to be developed.

Anyway, as I've said on other threads in this forum, I'm in favour of this concept, but I think if VEKN are printing anything it should be in a fixed non-random format. For example a box which contains 5 of each 'common', 2 of each vampire, and 1 of each 'rare'. I would quite happily buy multiple of said boxes depending on price and contents.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds