file Proposal: Advanced Library Cards for New Set

02 Mar 2012 21:50 - 02 Mar 2012 21:50 #24553 by Daidalos
No. And yes, it does mean, that old worthless cards could sell/trade for a lot. It would change the market. Yet - is that a good or bad thing? The market is stale, with everyone wanting the same +/-50 cards.

"I like to think there always are ...possibilities." Spock
:trem: :aus: :dom: :tha:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2012 21:50 by Daidalos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2012 21:51 #24555 by Daidalos
Understood, it only works the other way around with me.

More
02 Mar 2012 21:58 #24556 by Wedge

VTES also doesn't have an icon for rarity. Does SW have it?

I am not sure what rarity has to do with the proposal.

I nominate

Eyes of the Dead

and

Up Yours!

for virtual text.

More
02 Mar 2012 22:02 - 02 Mar 2012 22:03 #24557 by Pascal Bertrand
Ah! Good catch!

I thought the system was :
Each newly designed card has its own rarity.
"To play a pdf card, you have to sleeve it in front of an existing card of same rarity." (and not "same name")
Hence all the fuss about rarity :)
Last edit: 02 Mar 2012 22:03 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
02 Mar 2012 22:05 #24558 by Daidalos
I thought you mean: in order to release a new (virtual) card, you have to consider it's rarity "in the real world" - e. g. it's "power".

More
02 Mar 2012 22:56 - 02 Mar 2012 22:56 #24560 by Izaak
A lot of people are seriously missing the point here:

The point is not to be able to "errata" worthless cards. That's just a possibility within the virtual card system.

The point is to create new cards with the SAME NAME as existing cards. To play the new card (the virtual card, hence the (V) annotation) you need to put a piece of paper in a sleeve that hold the ACTUAL card.

For example, if a Deep Song (v) was designed, you'd first need an actual Deep Song to be able to play it. This has a couple of very useful side-effects:

1) You don't need to bother with art. The are is already there, thus allowing you to focus on actual game effects instead of art.

2) It allows, as above, rewriting of wallpaper cards without issuing endless errate lists. People will just have to play the virtual verion of the card and therefore nobody will have to rely on an eidetic memory to know exactly what every card does.

3) It keeps the secondary market alive and changing. If Twisting the Knife (v) would actually be a good card, then the value of Twisting the Knife would go up. With the system VEKN has chosen, it will be very easy to just print "Summon Future" with some new art, but with the exact same card text as Summon History, instantly crashing the secondary market for it.

4) It keeps rarity in the game (and with it the trading aspect). If the Crimon Sentinel (v) was an insanely good melee weapon, it still wouldn't be in every deck, for the same reason you don't see the Heart in every deck currently - not everyone owns sufficient of them to put a copy in every deck.

5) It gets rid of the proxy discussion entirely, because new cards are not actual proxies. They still require investment in a collection, respecting the first C in CCG.

6) You can easily update and change the virtual cards if they proof to be bad, broken or generally not healthy for the game. You simply update the text file and require people to always play with the latest version of virtual cards.

7) And, as an icing on the cake, there would be ZERO copyright problems, because you're not actually recreating anything that is copyrighted.

It's a really elegant system and has been working perfectly for Star Wars for years.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2012 22:56 by Izaak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: extrala, Amenophobis, Daidalos

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds