file Proposal: Advanced Library Cards for New Set

07 Mar 2012 03:21 - 07 Mar 2012 03:23 #25093 by brettscho
Hello all - I'm a first time poster long time lurker (etc etc). As a new player (started playing after WW discontinued the game), I have to say that I'm a little shocked at the VTES community. Everybody points to card games like Star Wars and Star Trek as models for how a game can survive after being dropped. Yet there seems to have been no effort to ASK the leaders of those communities what they've done and what's been successful. And then when somebody comes here saying "here is something that game X has done, and I think it's great" (a prime example being the virtual card idea) suddenly nobody has anything positive to say (an over-exaggeration, but not far off from what I've seen). The Star Wars CCG knows how to survive MUCH better than VTES - we should at least be open to the possibility that what they have to offer is of value. Whoever brings the idea shouldn't need to feel defensive or like they are being attacked. Daidalos - thank you for bringing this interesting idea to our community. I'm very glad to hear the perspective of somebody familiar with both games. Please continue to post ideas that the SW CCG community has experimented with! VTES may or may not use them, but we certainly need to hear them. For those who disagree with this (or any other idea) - try to do so with a little more respect. Kindness costs nothing, a fact all too often forgotten by those on the internet. <end rant>

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2012 03:23 by brettscho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Nick M, Izaak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2012 04:38 #25096 by AaronC
Brettscho, there are a lot of deeply conservative VTES players who post regularly on this board. It's not necessarily indicative of all VTES players, although I think a majority tend that way. I have also been shocked at how negatively many players react the suggestion of change, at least unless it stems from an established authority. It's just the way it is, and perhaps it stems from the top-down management style that VTES has had for such a long time. I think a lot of the players who have stuck with the game like that environment. A conservative or slow-to-change environment certainly has many benefits, after all.

I suspect that the other two CCG communities you mentioned have a different history. Perhaps the corporate leadership of the games had a different flavor. The people who are interested in those CCGs are probably great fans of their respective source materials, too, and want to have a chance to contribute to the favorite setting through the CCG. VTES players, at least many who post here, tend to be decidedly uninterested in the WoD setting. Just throwing out some thoughts.

More
10 Mar 2012 16:36 #25516 by Baaliprimogen
Hum... I like the idea about virtual cards. Especially thinking about completing the sabbat gr 5-6. Using the same names (and uniqueness) and just using small adjustments and new groups.

Only thing I think about is the change in layout that happened at the Camarilla Ed. Then we'dd have to create two layouts for each card.

:DAI: :MAL: :STR:

More
12 Mar 2012 07:55 #25654 by alek
While there are some small advantages of the concept, one major disadvantage makes it much worse than full pdf cards. It's a lack of artwork which creates "playing with proxies" feeling much bigger than in case of completely new pdf cards. This one alone makes me strongly against it.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds