file Card idea: March to War (melee weapon related card)

06 Dec 2011 23:27 #17369 by Juggernaut1981

It allows you to save an action to get that melee weapon. The interesting thing is that once you have one minion equipped with a melee weapon, any other of your minions may equip that weapon and use March to War to get the rush. (So basically, it becomes a rush once you have at least one melee weapon in play).

Just a modification, since it seems to not provide a 'way' to rush... and no 'impetus' to rush. (I know you have the text there, but I'd prefer to have a 'card in play' to provide that rush). I'd want to give an explicit 'rush method' (burning the card) and also a push to make the rush happen (use it or lose it)

Name: March to War
Cardtype: Action modifier
Discipline: Celerity
Only usable after an equip with a melee weapon action is successful.
:cel: Untap this acting vampire.
:CEL: As above, and put this card on this vampire. This vampire may burn this card to enter combat with any ready minion as a (D) action this turn. Burn this card in the next discard phase.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2011 07:13 #17388 by Ankha

It allows you to save an action to get that melee weapon. The interesting thing is that once you have one minion equipped with a melee weapon, any other of your minions may equip that weapon and use March to War to get the rush. (So basically, it becomes a rush once you have at least one melee weapon in play).

Just a modification, since it seems to not provide a 'way' to rush... and no 'impetus' to rush. (I know you have the text there, but I'd prefer to have a 'card in play' to provide that rush). I'd want to give an explicit 'rush method' (burning the card) and also a push to make the rush happen (use it or lose it)

People usually leave the pending cards on the table (Torn Signpost etc.) so adding extra text won't be that useful. Plus you have to remember to burn the card during your next untap anyway, so one way or the other, there's an effort of memory to provide.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
07 Dec 2011 08:23 #17400 by Lech

Melee combat will always be inferior to hand strike combat, but this card is nice.

The main issue melee weapon would have after this would be to have enough weapon in hand and yet not too much. ANd this card somehow allow to play less weapons.

Apart from this, what would melee weapon combat lack in your opinion ?

No, the main issue is that against combat decks you often can't use your melee weapon as enemy is either playing long range combat which trump melee by default or use Immortal Grapple, or is playing anti-equipment cards like blood fury/terror frenzy/drawing out the beast(or play prevention cards that destroy melee weapons). Only ranged combat trumps hand strike-based combat from those.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
07 Dec 2011 09:39 #17408 by Izaak
That argument can be repeated for every deck that fights. Combat decks just kill eachother.

Melee weapons are bad because they cost the same amount of pool as ranged weapons, give no additional advantage (such as the maneuver on a gun) AND leave yourself open to hitback. On top of all of that they need deck infrastructure to actually be equipped too. Like, when you consider playing 6 Bang Nakh's and 6 Concealed Weapons, you might as well play 12 melee strike cards and have the exact same effect except it doesn't need 2-card combo's to work making it less fragile and not costing pool.

More
07 Dec 2011 09:50 #17409 by Ohlmann

Like, when you consider playing 6 Bang Nakh's and 6 Concealed Weapons, you might as well play 12 melee strike cards and have the exact same effect except it doesn't need 2-card combo's to work making it less fragile and not costing pool.

But Bang Nakh is not supposed to be compared to strikes but to cards like Preternatural Strength.

Preternatural Strength work because it's way cheaper (1 blood vs 2 pool) and can't be destroyed easily.

Melee weapons may work with this card because you can swap it (using one weapon for 2 vampires) and this card lower theirs cost (not tapping, and no need to have both the weapon, the concealed weapon, and an occasion to enter combat)

More
07 Dec 2011 10:03 #17410 by Izaak
I'm not comparing a melee weapon to a strike card. I'm saying that if you want to use melee weapons and add the required infrastructure to your deck, it's in 99% of the cases better to just play strike cards in those cardslots and end up with a better deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds