file Card idea: Dirty Fighting

20 Jan 2012 23:14 #21322 by Pullen
I like the idea of the card, but its very powerful, and the cost it to easy to get around, as !gang! have a path. I also don't like all the disciplines being for one clan, I think maybe replacing the :obf: requirement with say :dom: would balance it a bit and make it more usable for other Sabbat.

:OBT::MYT::PRO::val::obf:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2012 00:20 - 21 Jan 2012 00:24 #21329 by Ohlmann

It using the multi-discipline mechanic poached from the Anarchs somehow doesn't strike me as right.

Well, I do believe it's ironically fitting. The sabbat at its inception was very much alike the anarc, and more importantly the three-discipline is a response to anarch not having big discipline, like, for example, most of the sabbat troopers.

Edit : for me, the two example of card that are needed by combat in general and ciy gangrel mostly would be deep song (attack vampire, or kill prey), and swallowed by the night (stealth, or combat utility)
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 00:24 by Ohlmann.

More
21 Jan 2012 09:08 - 21 Jan 2012 09:09 #21350 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Dirty Fighting
First of all, !Gangrel have shitty discipline that ARE the weakness of the clan (plus the fact that the discipline spread isn't very coherent within the clan). Unless creating a pool-damaging card in [obf], [cel] or [pro], they will stay a weak clan. And I wouldn't encourage creating such cards.

[cel] and [pro] are used for fighting, [pro] and [obf] are used for stealth. You can't expect !Gangrel to do anything else than stealthing or fighting (poorly besides that). If the fighting module takes 30 cards, what do you want them to do aside?

What I wanted to do was to lighten the combat module of !Gangrel so they had more space to include other strategies.

Concerning whether it should look like a three-way or something else, I think you all miss the point. IMO, the card format is absolutely irrelevant. It's just astuteness/elegance/card balancing.
What is important is the card function. Suggestions that have nothing to do with the card idea are off-topic. (Please create another topic.)

It gives them a pretty decent combat card. but only in areas they're already doing stuff anyway.

They do, but poorly and it costs them too many cards.

[pro] Something bland, easy to cycle, but maybe there's a blood cost, or it's not quite as flexible. Say, +1 stealth on actions to enter combat or commit diablerie.
[obf]+[pro] Something combat-y. Maybe a perma-benefit - you can still stack a few an cycle them at [pro], or maybe use them at [OBF]+[PRO] when you don't need this benefit anymore.
[OBF]+[PRO] Something not combat-y.

Could you be more vague? ;) Besides, you're just defining a format, not a function. I can create lots of bad cards using this template.

but its very powerful, and the cost it to easy to get around, as !gang! have a path.

It's precisely the point of this card. Being strong and free for !Gangrel.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 09:09 by Ankha.

More
21 Jan 2012 10:20 - 21 Jan 2012 10:21 #21351 by jamesatzephyr

First of all, !Gangrel have shitty discipline that ARE the weakness of the clan (plus the fact that the discipline spread isn't very coherent within the clan). Unless creating a pool-damaging card in [obf], [cel] or [pro], they will stay a weak clan. And I wouldn't encourage creating such cards.

Why? The Assamites have Loss and the world hasn't ended.

If you want to avoid proliferation to other people (e.g. Assamites), then there are a variety of options. Make the card require [pro]+something else (rather than [obf]+[cel]). It would also be easy to create a card that required a clan and discipline. Or required a clan and got benefits from disciplines.

You could even combine Country and City in one card to enable cross-overs a little more.
Card Name
Requires Gangrel Antitribu
[ani]+[for]: One effect
[obf]+[cel]: A totally different effect.

Could you be more vague? ;) Besides, you're just defining a format, not a function. I can create lots of bad cards using this template.

Why is any of this a problem? Anyone can create bad cards. What's your point?

If you actually read what I wrote, I also referred specifically to Deep Song as a possible model, which combines a combative function and a bleed function. (Deep Song is often considered a good card, by the way.)

Instead of just focusing on yet more combat, I was recommending dealing with one of their other problems - be it pool damage or defence. Or you might strike out in a radically different area, to give them some different tools. But you'd also give them a solid combat tool as well. I don't have fixed opinions on what the effects have to be, and I wouldn't want to nail discussion to a single implementation, rather than a more general change of direction.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 10:21 by jamesatzephyr.

More
21 Jan 2012 17:57 #21372 by Drain
Replied by Drain on topic Re: Card idea: Dirty Fighting

You can't expect !Gangrel to do anything else than stealthing or fighting (poorly besides that). If the fighting module takes 30 cards, what do you want them to do aside?

Why not? It is possible to thematically simulate pretty much anything. With their discipline spread you're probably better off using clan-cards to represent pool damage, though.

What I wanted to do was to lighten the combat module of !Gangrel so they had more space to include other strategies.

But even that is not really accomplished. Anti-Dodge and First Strike are absolutely marginal combat countermeasures. As long as your combat module has to account for Prevention, Maneuvers and the all-mighty S:CE then it is going to have to be bulky.

Concerning whether it should look like a three-way or something else, I think you all miss the point. IMO, the card format is absolutely irrelevant. It's just astuteness/elegance/card balancing.
What is important is the card function. Suggestions that have nothing to do with the card idea are off-topic. (Please create another topic.)

Presenting alternatives that deviate from the originally posted format can be a bit of nuisance if taken to extremes but I would hardly call it off-topic.

It could still be much stronger, even in its own flawed context of being a combat card. Spirit Claws, with its inherent maneuver is what a real slot-saver looks like to me.

Drain

More
22 Jan 2012 20:12 - 22 Jan 2012 20:14 #21475 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Dirty Fighting

But even that is not really accomplished. Anti-Dodge and First Strike are absolutely marginal combat countermeasures. As long as your combat module has to account for Prevention, Maneuvers and the all-mighty S:CE then it is going to have to be bulky.

Compared to the actual combat module available to !Gangrel, I think it's really better. I may be wrong (and it ties up with your last point), so do you have any suggestion to make it better.

Presenting alternatives that deviate from the originally posted format can be a bit of nuisance if taken to extremes but I would hardly call it off-topic.

They are off-topic because the thread cannot handle two cards sharing nothing in common. Discussions will become a big mess, some people commenting the original card, others some other card. I wish people create a new thread instead (with a link to the original thread).

It could still be much stronger, even in its own flawed context of being a combat card. Spirit Claws, with its inherent maneuver is what a real slot-saver looks like to me.

So any suggestion?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 22 Jan 2012 20:14 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds