file Mage: the Ascension variant

14 May 2011 00:24 #4413 by Randy
I really like the Agenda cards, liked it in the storylines like it here. Make more of them :P

Also i have a few comments on the cards you have made.

You mean with ability the Mystic of celestial chorus is to alow you to bypass the one action modifier/reaction rule or do you make an "invisible" copy that has the same effect(Mouthpiece conditioning conditioning is the second one a card played or does it just happen?).

Paradox Breach, perhaps make it an action? Event are only playable once per game, but maybe that was the idea.

Three paradox counters feels to cheap for the dragon.

Can the Umbra Sphinx use inferior obf cards? :P

There should be alot of balacing done but you need that with all new cards and systems

Prince of Lidingö
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2011 00:48 - 14 May 2011 00:54 #4414 by salem
I like it. Integrates with vtes a lot nicer than the Imbued rules I think.

Just a few questions about the design though, are the mages supposed to be balanced against existing mage allies? or are you basing off the fact that existing mages are a bit under powered (except Nephandus) and trying to bump them up a bit?

Also, with the spheres, you say they're not requirements but they're traits to interact with other cards. I can't see any cards in your set that have that interaction, is that right? they're just there to provide future expansion options?

edit: ooh, and I just thought, if you combine your 'agenda' card with the alternate edge cards Juggernaut was working on (I think it was Jugger, anyway), it could be something like this as a card that starts in play and replaces the normal effect for holding the edge.

Edge.
Vampires you control have -1 stealth. When a
vampire would come into play during your
influence phase, you may remove him or her
from the game instead and search your hand,
ash heap or library (shuffle afterwards) for a
mage ally that vampire could recruit and whose
cost is not greater than his or her capacity. Put
that mage into play at no cost. During your untap phase, if you control the Edge, you may remove 1 paradox [PARADOX] counter in play to gain 1 pool.

So you can't meddle in Vampire politics with the edge if you're mages, and you can only get pool if there's paradox to clear.

--
salem
Last edit: 14 May 2011 00:54 by salem.

More
14 May 2011 01:08 - 14 May 2011 01:09 #4415 by Boris The Blade
If the goal of the -1 Stealth in the agenda is to avoid messing with the existing cards, it is not enough. Weenie rush decks would love a reliable Nephandus to clean the torpor region...
Last edit: 14 May 2011 01:09 by Boris The Blade.

More
14 May 2011 05:47 #4420 by Juggernaut1981
I've got the Power-Edge Variation up here if people are interested... I'll probably post it as a new thread. It still needs testing. The JPG should be configured to print out at 300dpi, so just take it to Officeworks/Kinkos/etc and they should appear at the right size for sliding into a sleeve.

sites.google.com/site/juggernaut1981svtesdownloads/home/power-edge-variation

Plus a possible Edge Variation for your own Mage Expansion.
Arcane Edge
Edge Variation.
During your untap you may give 2 Mage Allies 1 life (but not more than their starting life).
You may burn the Edge to prevent any amount of damage from a single source inflicted on a Mage you control.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
14 May 2011 08:58 - 14 May 2011 08:59 #4425 by Ankha
Thanks for all the feedback :)

I really like the Agenda cards, liked it in the storylines like it here. Make more of them :P
Also i have a few comments on the cards you have made.
  1. You mean with ability the Mystic of celestial chorus is to alow you to bypass the one action modifier/reaction rule or do you make an "invisible" copy that has the same effect(Mouthpiece conditioning conditioning is the second one a card played or does it just happen?).
  2. Paradox Breach, perhaps make it an action? Event are only playable once per game, but maybe that was the idea.
  3. Three paradox counters feels to cheap for the dragon.
  4. Can the Umbra Sphinx use inferior obf cards? :P
  5. There should be alot of balacing done but you need that with all new cards and systems

1. The effect is duplicated. So yes, you could play Mouthpiece (whoa!) to make the Mage play Conditioning and bleed for 4.
  2. Event by design.
  3. It's unique, 3 Paradox are quite a lot. To playtest anyway.
  4. Sure
  5. Yeah :)

I like it. Integrates with vtes a lot nicer than the Imbued rules I think.

Just a few questions about the design though,
  1. are the mages supposed to be balanced against existing mage allies?
  2. or are you basing off the fact that existing mages are a bit under powered (except Nephandus) and trying to bump them up a bit?
  3. Also, with the spheres, you say they're not requirements but they're traits to interact with other cards. I can't see any cards in your set that have that interaction, is that right? they're just there to provide future expansion options?

4. edit: ooh, and I just thought, if you combine your 'agenda' card with the alternate edge cards Juggernaut was working on (I think it was Jugger, anyway), it could be something like this as a card that starts in play and replaces the normal effect for holding the edge.

Edge.
    Vampires you control have -1 stealth. When a
    vampire would come into play during your
    influence phase, you may remove him or her
    from the game instead and search your hand,
    ash heap or library (shuffle afterwards) for a
    mage ally that vampire could recruit and whose
    cost is not greater than his or her capacity. Put
    that mage into play at no cost. During your untap phase, if you control the Edge, you may remove 1 paradox [PARADOX] counter in play to gain 1 pool.

So you can't meddle in Vampire politics with the edge if you're mages, and you can only get pool if there's paradox to clear.

1. They are meant to be balanced with the whole game
  2. Indead most of the mages are overcosted. They will get a boost though with all the cards they can now use.
  3. See Dreamspeaker. But there will be others. Making Spheres requirements didn't fit in the gameplay. Some Mages could be forbidden some spheres though, by cardtext. And yeah, they open the door to future interaction ideas.
  4. Could be an option, though the Agenda was meant to create a drawback to avoid "autoinclude" effects. See next question

If the goal of the -1 Stealth in the agenda is to avoid messing with the existing cards, it is not enough. Weenie rush decks would love a reliable Nephandus to clean the torpor region...

To recruit a Nephandus usign the Agenda, you'll need a !Tremere to remove, so it doesn't fit well with a weenie tech. And if you remove a !Tremere, you could simply influence it, buy 1 or more Nephandus and avoid the -1 stealth penalty (which is annoying on hunts for weenie pot decks).

I've got the Power-Edge Variation up here if people are interested... I'll probably post it as a new thread. It still needs testing. The JPG should be configured to print out at 300dpi, so just take it to Officeworks/Kinkos/etc and they should appear at the right size for sliding into a sleeve.

sites.google.com/site/juggernaut1981svtesdownloads/home/power-edge-variation

Plus a possible Edge Variation for your own Mage Expansion.
Arcane Edge
Edge Variation.
During your untap you may give 2 Mage Allies 1 life (but not more than their starting life).
You may burn the Edge to prevent any amount of damage from a single source inflicted on a Mage you control.

I think it deserves another thread. You'll be able to use my tool if you want to generate them a pdf files (no print resolution hasle, better text quality). The Edge is a good idea anyway as an addition to the Agenda (not replacing the Agenda).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 14 May 2011 08:59 by Ankha.

More
14 May 2011 10:24 - 14 May 2011 10:56 #4430 by Boris The Blade

To recruit a Nephandus usign the Agenda, you'll need a !Tremere to remove, so it doesn't fit well with a weenie tech.

How does it not mix well? Just add 3 or 4 small !Tremere to the crypt, and if you expect to get more than 4 minions out, add a couple of Wider View to flush the excess. Wider View is a Trifle and pool gain, so it can mix well with pretty much anything.

And if you remove a !Tremere, you could simply influence it, buy 1 or more Nephandus, and avoid the -1 stealth penalty (which is annoying on hunts for weenie pot decks).

First, this costs more pool as you have to pay for the !Tremere and the Nephandus. Second, how do you get the recruit action trough? Even Nephandus decks do not recruit them ;) Third and most important, you need the Nephandus in hand to recruit it, so you can't have only 1 in the deck and it messes with your card flow. As for hunting, Glancing blow + Taste of Vitae is all the stealth a weenie pot needs and it's already in the deck.

Don't take my word for it, test it.

Your cards also solve the Ponticulus problem for a rush deck: just go fetch an Elementalist.
Last edit: 14 May 2011 10:56 by Boris The Blade.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds