file Submission: The Edge of Disaster

23 Jan 2019 13:46 #93106 by LivesByProxy
I thought Psyche! keeps you in the same combat? That's why Pocket Out of Time works as you mentioned: Goratrix is forcing a new combat every time he burns 1 blood.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2019 13:50 #93107 by Timo
I'm pretty sure that psyche let the combat end before starting another one.

And so, you have first to draw your hand back and then discarding it.

More
23 Jan 2019 13:52 #93108 by LivesByProxy
Ah, I see. Psyche! explicitly says "Begin a new combat." So you're correct.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
23 Jan 2019 17:23 - 23 Jan 2019 17:29 #93109 by vragozakas

The Edge of Disaster
Unique Master
2 Pool
During your unlock phase, discard the top card of your library.
While this card is in play, no cards may be moved out of any player's discard pile.
If a player has no cards in their Library during their Unlock Phase, that player loses 2 pool.
Any minion may destroy The Edge of Disaster as a D action that costs 2 pool.

I love this design, it fucks so well with ashur and legionnaires, edited it replacing "vampire" with "minion" to make it even more open to interaction.

Necromancy Action
2 Blood
0 Stealth Action. Unique
nec: your prey burs the top 3 cards from their deck.
NEC: Put this card into play. During your unlock phase, you may have your prey burn the top 3 cards of their library. Any minion may destroy this card as a D action.

Also this card is amazing, tweaked the superior version to make it happen things during your unlock, and make it a choice, so if you forget it's your fault and your prey is happy.

I'm so in love with discard (coming from other ccgs), but in vtes it's a strange strategy to develop. It's a game in wich decking is not a lose condition, and it's a multiplayer game (so once you've burned your first prey's library you may find with 60 cards to mill from your new prey, and you are still far far away from gw). Cards like edge of disaster or trochomancy obviate to this, and I'm more then happy to see new win con available.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 17:29 by vragozakas.

More
23 Jan 2019 19:14 #93110 by jblacey

Thanks for being dismissive.

Actually, quite the opposite. Your experiences differ from mine. That is normal and they do not invalidate each other. It is acceptance that you have a perspective that I don't have. I did not place a value judgement on which is better.

I'm guessing I've played more VTES in the last year than you've played maybe ever. There's no reason for the condescention.

I suspect you took my statements as an attack on your character. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I despise Mill Strategies and it should not be a reflection upon you. That said, please re-read the quoted sentences together above and think about if you just said it out loud to a new player.

If you can make a straight-faced argument that milling is something that in it's current state could compete with Bleeds for 6 I'm willing to hear it.

I am not arguing that a Mill deck is a top tier deck. I am arguing that it shouldn't be a viable deck. You don't have to win a game to destroy someone's desire to play the game. Mill decks are a prime example of how non-interactive decks create unfun play experiences.

More
24 Jan 2019 02:26 #93117 by LivesByProxy

I am not arguing that a Mill deck is a top tier deck. I am arguing that it shouldn't be a viable deck. You don't have to win a game to destroy someone's desire to play the game. Mill decks are a prime example of how non-interactive decks create unfun play experiences.

Any deck that quickly murders the person in front of it is liable to discourage a new player. Stealth-bleed and power-bleed decks are the worst offenders since they do 6-9 pool damage every turn, and in the case of power-bleed with it's "that guy can't block" and "this block fails" cards, are even more uninteractive. At least stealth-bleed interacts with the opponents intercept.

A lot of people (speaking from years of experience with Magic) have this misconception that getting milled is being denied options. I explained why (in Magic at least) this isn't the case. Pretty sure it's a psychological thing about perceived loss. Like, if the milled cards were placed into the Ash Heap face-down, would players feel as bad? Probably not.

But furthermore, what really matters is what's in your hand. Not what you may draw or could draw, but the options you have available right now. If a card isn't in your hand, it may as well be at the bottom of your deck. Having one Ancilla Empowerment in your deck on the off chance your predator or prey is a weenie swarm does nothing for you unless it's in your hand.

I support milling as a victory condition provided it is done correctly and has an environment that can deal with it. That goes for any victory condition really.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DJHedgehog

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds