file New expansion and card ideas

21 Aug 2011 07:35 #8713 by cnislev
This is basically to follow up on a thread started by Aaron Clark on googlegroups that I found pretty interesting but which didnt get the attention it deserved (and got trolled to oblivion for some reason): groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/a70b1bd471ba51ce

What would you like to see in a new expansion?

Now that the development of the game is 100% community driven, it would be great if we could get a good and structured dialogue with input from as many players as possible in connection with the creation of a new edition.

Looking at it from a general perspective (rather than individual cards) we discussed the below points in the thread, which I think provides a good framework for discussing any expansions (additional suggestions are welcome of course) - at least this is my attempt at such a framework. Its necessary to look at this before making new cards, I think...

Framework for new edition (in random order)

1. any revisions and loose ends?

2. new game mechanics?

3. WoD background

4. format

5. practical stuff

1. Revisions and loose ends
Bahari being the most obvious. As for revisions, could be new cards adressing old problems (like Two Wrongs vs bounce) or re-writes (like when the revised Anarch Revolt came out).

2. New mechanics
This is the most interesting I think, but probably also the most controversial. This would cover the ideas floating around re incorporating Mage etc. in the game. In the thread above, we discussed if new ways of gaining VPs should be introduced. I have suggestions to three new cards below.

3. Background
New editions should follow/develop the World of Darkness background. I dont have so much to add here, but I am sure that others have.

4. Format
So far, new expansions have followed the tried and tested format (boosters, starter packs of a certain size). I think a serious discussion should be had about this now though. There are so many formats out there now (Living Card Game etc.), and we have complete freedom to structure new expansions as we like. We could have expansions of 3 new cards every 3 months, e.g. only vampires or only non-vampires etc. And how often should new editions come out?

5. Practical stuff
Are we free to develop new cards? (rights etc.). What will it cost, who can print it etc. I know that the people who were previously involved in the development of the game know tons about this, but it would good to have a discussion about this, Im sure there are lots of players spread across the community who can contribute to this. If we lift together, the burden isnt so heavy.

So anyway, hope this gives some food for thought. Here are my three suggestions for cards that provide new ways of gaining VPs.

The Greater of Two Evils

[Unique] master, pool cost [not sure]

Choose a methuselah other than your predator. A methuselah cannot be
chosen unless both you and that methuselah have less pool than the
chosen methuselah's prey. From your next turn, if the chosen
methuselah's prey is ousted during your turn, you gain half a VP and
the chosen methuselah gains half a VP less for ousting his or her
prey. Any minion can burn this card as a (D) action.

Might is right

Master, pool cost [not sure]

Put 2 counters on this card when it comes into play. Add a counter to
this card if a minion you control burns a minion controlled by
another methuselah. Remove a counter from this card if a minion controlled by
another methuselah burns a minion controlled by another methuselah
than that methuselah. Burn this card if it has no counters. Burn this
card if it has [10] counters to gain a VP.

Back against the wall

Master, pool cost (not sure)

If your predator is ousted during your next turn, you gain a VP
instead of your predator's predator.
(alternatively "..., you gain half a VP and your predator's predator
gains half a VP less for ousting his or her
prey.")

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2011 08:17 - 21 Aug 2011 08:28 #8718 by Surreal
I would want to see very minor changes only if any. Those proposed cards can change game too much. i wouldn't want to see any "offical" expansions like mage or kindred of the east. I wouldn't want to see any errata on old cards either.

Just continue adding cards for existing themes like more cards for anarchs, black hand, red lists to make them more interesting. Sabbat needs some cool and brutal version of parity shift. Add vampires to group 5-6 etc.

EDIT I also heard that VEKN is planning to do more cards? Has there been any offical announcement in this site?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2011 08:28 by Surreal.

More
21 Aug 2011 14:18 #8736 by Ankha

1. Revisions and loose ends
Bahari being the most obvious.

I don't get the point. What's wrong with Bahari? We're not going to print new cards just to re-use a keyword, are we?

The Greater of Two Evils

[Unique] master, pool cost [not sure]

Choose a methuselah other than your predator. A methuselah cannot be
chosen unless both you and that methuselah have less pool than the
chosen methuselah's prey. From your next turn, if the chosen
methuselah's prey is ousted during your turn, you gain half a VP and
the chosen methuselah gains half a VP less for ousting his or her
prey. Any minion can burn this card as a (D) action.

Might is right

Master, pool cost [not sure]

Put 2 counters on this card when it comes into play. Add a counter to
this card if a minion you control burns a minion controlled by
another methuselah. Remove a counter from this card if a minion controlled by
another methuselah burns a minion controlled by another methuselah
than that methuselah. Burn this card if it has no counters. Burn this
card if it has [10] counters to gain a VP.

Back against the wall

Master, pool cost (not sure)

If your predator is ousted during your next turn, you gain a VP
instead of your predator's predator.
(alternatively "..., you gain half a VP and your predator's predator
gains half a VP less for ousting his or her
prey.")

Interesting ideas, though one may say that the first and last both "affect prey-predator relationship" (to quote LSJ about the ban of Dramatic Upheaval + KR).
Might is right creates a VP from nowhere, leading in games where 6 or 7 VPs may be awarded. This would be a first time.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
21 Aug 2011 16:09 #8742 by Suoli

Here are my three suggestions for cards that provide new ways of gaining VPs.

Implicit win conditions (Khazar's Diary, Spell of Life, 419 Operation) are a lot more interesting than explicit win conditions (Brinksmanship).

More
21 Aug 2011 21:37 #8764 by Mael
I think the most obvious loose end is probably the research area, and I'd really like to see something done with that.
I'd also like to see more G5 vampires printed for Sabbat as the next 'set'.

I'd be very wary about introducing new mechanics into the game. If this is done at all, it should be somewhere down the line after new developers have gotten experience designing within the existing game.

More
22 Aug 2011 02:26 #8772 by Brum
My input in this:
No change in mechanics.
No nerfing or wallpapering existing cards.
New group 6 Sabbat Vampires, specially Montano (Camarilla Lasombra Inner Circle?)
whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Montano

If people do think something needs to change, the Alastor / Trophy mechanic needs improvement (maybe in a third release?).

Tiago Brum

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds