file Timeouts in tournaments

18 Mar 2012 20:49 #26164 by Surreal
Replied by Surreal on topic Re: Timeouts in tournaments

I have a gut feeling that I Helsinki tournaments the time outs might've increased a bit.

The atmosphere is generaly as relaxed as previously; plenty of friendly BSing and banter during the games as well as not necessarily that centered on tier 1 decks.

Might be wrong on this but I feel that the additional bloat afforded by Villein is probably the root of this. Lilith's Blessing hasn't really helped.

Yesterday's tournament had 4 tables and three rounds.
During the prelim rounds there was only six gamewins (did any of those come from timeouted tables). So at least half of the tables timeouted.

The finals timeouted just basrely, but the winner got 3,5 VP so it wasn't that bad...

Bit of offtopic

I feel this is a more metagame thing in Helsinki. Games are very relaxed. I see some tier 1 decks especially slow ones with building up board position with bloating and villeins. Faster bleed and vote decks I see very rare and also I feel attitude towards those decks and some other deck is a bit shunned at (like sayings "s&b or bleed deck, so boring and serious"). This leads to more time outs. Also Helsinki metagame favors slower decks. But this can be changed a bit b/c I haven't been in a tournament for some time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2012 20:53 #26165 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Timeouts in tournaments

I have a gut feeling that I Helsinki tournaments the time outs might've increased a bit.

The atmosphere is generaly as relaxed as previously; plenty of friendly BSing and banter during the games as well as not necessarily that centered on tier 1 decks.

Might be wrong on this but I feel that the additional bloat afforded by Villein is probably the root of this. Lilith's Blessing hasn't really helped.

Yesterday's tournament had 4 tables and three rounds.
During the prelim rounds there was only six gamewins (did any of those come from timeouted tables). So at least half of the tables timeouted.

The finals timeouted just basrely, but the winner got 3,5 VP so it wasn't that bad...

Bit of offtopic

I feel this is a more metagame thing in Helsinki. Games are very relaxed. I see some tier 1 decks especially slow ones with building up board position with bloating and villeins. Faster bleed and vote decks I see very rare and also I feel attitude towards those decks and some other deck is a bit shunned at (like sayings "s&b or bleed deck, so boring and serious"). This leads to more time outs. Also Helsinki metagame favors slower decks. But this can be changed a bit b/c I haven't been in a tournament for some time.

Next time I will play something more aggressive again! The last two tournaments before that I had played DEM weenie and CEL/POT rush, so thought to take a bit more relaxed deck this time, which ended up not working at all so next time, there will be no timeouts in tables I sit! :evil:

More
19 Mar 2012 08:27 - 19 Mar 2012 19:55 #26204 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Timeouts in tournaments

Next time I will play something more aggressive again! The last two tournaments before that I had played DEM weenie and CEL/POT rush, so thought to take a bit more relaxed deck this time, which ended up not working at all so next time, there will be no timeouts in tables I sit! :evil:

Then again, playing an aggressive S&B deck and encountering sometimes prevalent combat will probably mean the S&B deck getting the proverbial crap kicked out of it and the table probably playing out rather slowly ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 19 Mar 2012 19:55 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Mar 2012 08:31 #26205 by jhattara

Then again, playing an aggressive S&B deck and encountering sometimes prevalent combat will probably mean the S&B deck getting the proverbial crap kicked out of it and the table probably playing out rather slowly ;)

I have good experience with this. In one ECQ when I played a malk/!malk S&B deck 2 out of 3 tables I was in timed out. The one that didn't had 4 players and ended barely before timeout. One of the tables had 3 stealth bleed, 1 bruise bleed and 1 wall deck.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
19 Mar 2012 09:48 - 19 Mar 2012 09:49 #26214 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Timeouts in tournaments

[Next time I will play something more aggressive again! The last two tournaments before that I had played DEM weenie and CEL/POT rush, so thought to take a bit more relaxed deck this time, which ended up not working at all so next time, there will be no timeouts in tables I sit! :evil:

Well I dunno about that, I won the tournament last time with s&b. :)

Not that s&b is the only kind of aggressive deck there is. Aggressive combat decks are also option.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2012 09:49 by Klaital.

More
21 Apr 2012 06:14 #28281 by Decebalus
There is a simple solution to get faster play:

DONT SAVE YOUR PREDATOR.

The most time consuming aspect in VTES is balancing the table. Every player who dies makes a faster game. My grandpredator getting a VP isnt so bad, if i get time to get 2 VPs. Every action you use to not save someone on the table is an aggressive action that makes the game faster.

And my standard answer to my prey or predator, who wants to discuss, why i am so aggressive against them, is: I want to see you dead. It shortens every discussion absolutely.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds