file Printing own cards

31 Jul 2014 14:13 - 31 Jul 2014 14:16 #64514 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Printing own cards

It is also to my understanding that negotiations among OneBookshelf.com, White Wolf, and Hasbro are ongoing, but haven't had an update in about a year (apart from the sudden news that Fantasy Flight Games was in and then out of negotiations).

While such negotiations might not alwyas be succesful, hope shouldn't be abandoned.

If anything, that Hasbro/Wizards has been open to talk at all is very welcome and encouraging news. It's a huge change from where things were a few years ago.

Recent news seems to indictae that Dragonball Z CCG just became resurrected are there any other expamples of resurrected CCGs besides VTES and it?):

retrodbzccgcom.fatcow.com/2014/07/24/the-dragon-ball-z-ccg-is-back/

Wow...lol...as for other examples of resurrected CCGs, there's Netrunner and Doomtown. I don't know if L5R was resurrected (rather, if it had gone out of print), but I know it's on an upswing again.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 14:16 by BenPeal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2014 15:55 #64521 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Printing own cards
I would be nitpicky and excluded resurrections that also transmogrified the CCG into some other format. Even it it was LCG. So I'd count Netrunner and Doomtown out. But that's just me... ;)

Very nice to hear that there has been a change of heart at WotC!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
31 Jul 2014 23:24 #64549 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: Printing own cards
out of curiosity, why do you discount the netrunner and doomtown resurrections?

More
01 Aug 2014 04:59 - 01 Aug 2014 06:47 #64557 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Re: Printing own cards
I don't know doomtown but to my understanding, netrunner new gen is another game with he same concept, not the revival of the old one.

For example, if VTES were to be back in print with the same concept, you could not use your parity shift nor your Arika.

(It is what I was explained but I don't know for sure)

Edit : I will likely throw my keybord if it continues to be this annoying...
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 06:47 by Timo.

More
01 Aug 2014 06:29 #64558 by jamesatzephyr

I don't know dooown bu to my understanding, netrunner new gen is another game with he same concept, no he revival of the old one.

For example, if VTES were to be back in print with the same concept, you could not use your parity shift nor your Arika.

I'd expect that if the FFG discussions had got anywhere, that something similar might well have happened. In particular, given Garfield's comments about the length of time taken to play (which aren't novel), you'd probably need to strip back quite a few of the mechanics in the game to achieve a smoother, quicker flow.

Quite what you'd do, given a free hand, is highly debatable. I do recall it being mentioned that WW were quite... surprised by the ease of pool gain in the game when they took it over. I could certainly see a reboot of the game having much less by way of pool gain, and encouraging more defence. e.g. you can reduce a bleed relatively easily, but actually increasing your pool total is much harder, so there are fewer situations where you put together a turn of 10 bleed, and then your prey plays Villein and two Parity Shift and is stronger than ever. Similarly, you might want to streamline card cancellation a lot (when it does take up time, it can take up a lot of time). You might want to reduce the number of situations where a player can be knocked out really quickly and have to sit on their hands for the rest of the game, though if you can get the time down to 45-60 minutes, that's less of an issue.

Also, if Garfield were involved, I'd possibly expect to see an attempt to make multi-strategy / toolbox decks much more a solid leg of the game (a desire he expressed early on in Jyhad's life). I'd also probably expect a producer to try to cut down on the very large number of icons you have to know, and corner-case terms e.g. focusing primarily on the Camarilla Clans, or only the thirteen clans (which cuts out a lot of bloodline/Laibon frippery); possibly eliminating antitribu, as WW vaguely suggested in the past they would have done if they'd designed the game from scratch (thus having Sabbat Toreador and Camarilla Toreador, not two clans); and various things like that.

Basically, I can't easily see a way of making the game a lot quicker without touching some quite core elements. And if you're doing that, might as well make a couple of nice-to-have root-and-branch changes at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
03 Aug 2014 11:57 - 03 Aug 2014 12:05 #64631 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: Printing own cards

I don't know doomtown but to my understanding, netrunner new gen is another game with he same concept, not the revival of the old one.

(It is what I was explained but I don't know for sure)

Edit : I will likely throw my keybord if it continues to be this annoying...

i'm not sure i'd consider V:tes a proper/true CCG (not really on topic, but i can make a new thread a little later).

i'd be 100% behind a full reset/rules pruning. I'd also be in favor of moving from Masquerade to Requiem. the whole
"Well, it's Methuselahs, so anything is possible" rationalization of camarilla/sabbat interactions is just too much for me, and i find the Requiem setting more fitting to how V:tes plays. Also, in Requiem each clan has it's own unique* discipline, and Masquerade, there are many clans that don't.

my playgroup is okay with proxies/printing cards so long as they're easily recognizable. the majority of my group also has no interest in sanctioned/competitive play. i suspect that more people would be interested in sanctioned play if they could use their proxies, but for the most part, we're content.

*for moderate values of unique
Last edit: 03 Aug 2014 12:05 by self biased.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds