file How I would re-launch V:TES. (audience participation is encouraged)

06 Mar 2016 04:08 #75814 by self biased

If the game relaunches (which is what we are discussing) it would be much worse.

If the game relaunches, old cards will either be legal or not.

Consider first the scenario where they are not legal. Everyone is selecting vampires from within the same pool of maybe about 50 cards.

so... what did we do in the antediluvian days of the first three sets?
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2016 12:23 #75824 by Mael

If the game relaunches (which is what we are discussing) it would be much worse.

If the game relaunches, old cards will either be legal or not.

Consider first the scenario where they are not legal. Everyone is selecting vampires from within the same pool of maybe about 50 cards.

so... what did we do in the antediluvian days of the first three sets?

Exactly, back when ccg's were a new idea and the market wasn't full of dozens of alternatives you could get away with that.
Everyone did just play a different clan within their group of friends.
There weren't any tournaments (around here anyway) so I can only imagine the lottery that one would have been.
You couldn't play with the contents of a single starter (unless you got very lucky with the random distribution).
I hope you're not suggesting that because it worked 20 years ago it would work today. It wouldn't.

More
06 Mar 2016 14:57 #75830 by self biased
I was genuinely asking and looking for feedback. with the pool of vampires being more than a thousand cards deep at this point, contesting vampires seems to be a thing that occasionally happens and sometimes ruins someone's day. I'm not usually a fan of risk versus reward mechanics (Do I roll with a popular star vampire, or do I look to more obscure ones when building my crypt), but i'm pretty okay with the Contesting rule.

More
06 Mar 2016 18:11 #75834 by Mael

I was genuinely asking and looking for feedback.

Sorry, I guess I was reading a dismissive tone of voice into that where it wasn't intended.

I just think it's a rule we've all gotten used to and build decks in ways to mitigate it, but it doesn't add anything positive to the game.
Star vampire decks are already very fragile. At risk to combat, banishment, pentex, etc. But these are all things that you can design counters for in your deck if you think you'll be vulnerable to them. Randomly being at a table where someone else likes the same vampires isn't, unless you consider playing a different deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, brettscho

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds