file New Set?

15 Nov 2017 10:57 #84274 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic New Set?
I like Harold McNeil's art (though the dude is hateful and a disgrace). Take Direct Intervention: the splash of red is beautiful, the hand evokes some kind of intervention from above, that's enough for my imagination.
As elotar pointed out, Personal Involvment's art is weak. Abstract things can (should?) be represented by abstract art.
Enkil Cog's art should have been more abstract in my opinion.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2017 13:11 - 15 Nov 2017 13:12 #84275 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic New Set?
I'd love to have a splash of more abstraction in the art for the future. The latest art style has been beautiful in a comprehensible and worldly way, but I do kind of miss the abstraction of Jyhad era cards. It really, really fits many Master cards (not locations obvi).

Sudden Reversal and Direct Intervention are great with their abstract art, and I'd love to see this more. Enkil Cog is a very good example of this. I would've loved a bit more abstraction in the art to be sure, even though it's technically fine.

Not that we'd need McNeil's art in itself. Just following some of that artistic direction would be awesome.

A: Netrunner is pretty cool with some of their internet-themed art. It's really weird and obscure at times.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 13:12 by Kraus.

More
15 Nov 2017 13:52 #84276 by ReverendRevolver
Replied by ReverendRevolver on topic New Set?
@ Elator: on the weapons thing, it annoys me to no end that the original 44 magnum isn't a 44 magnum in the picture. I'm not sure if it was just a wotc oversight, or if they checked it and knew nothing about guns, but it annoys me hard that we have boring revolver as the best art for the absolute staple gun for the game. As a "gun person" I can honestly say I have a bias towards revolvers, as they are more fun to shoot than other things, but if we get new art, I'd love better stuff on the 44. Like a shiny looking Colt python with a longer barrel (8", as longer barrel guns in art and media is often then indicator of more power, even though it has nothing to do with the muzzle velocity or any weight in hydrostatic shock if striking a Target, but I digress...) anyway, gun in the foreground, and then someone pretty in the background. Could be anarchy looking female similar to gem ghastly, or a cavelier shirtless version of Anson, just some vamp with some sort of sex appeal holding the gun....

Bloodartist: I typically like mostly real style art, with exception for some things; I love the Rebecca guay art on the torries in CE, it fits the feel of the clan. Alabastroms art is misaic-feeling, so I dig it on gargoyle card. Now, DI art isn't as good for the card as DI2, plainly showing a demonic hand stopping what's happening.
Art like on Keep it Simple that shows a basic story is good. Now, no idea what eleither kindred spirits is showing, and malls)!malks/kiasyd/some discipline stuff should have abstract stuff, for theme and mood. Just like you get a very leather and anger feel from g1 brujah, there should be solid "feeling" themes to cards, as I remember art being one of the most interesting parts of the game when I started really playing. It's very important.

More
15 Nov 2017 13:59 #84278 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic New Set?
chiming in, because I've meant to over the last few days.

I've long been a fan of MacNeil's brooding and abstract style and was really thrown for a loop when I learned that he was an actual Nazi. Im happy that VEKN will not condone his vile politics, and commission his works anymore.

That being said, I would like to see More dark and abstract art in the game.

More
15 Nov 2017 15:17 #84282 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic New Set?

...original 44 magnum isn't a 44 magnum in the picture. I'm not sure if it was just a wotc oversight, or if they checked it and knew nothing about guns, but it annoys me hard that we have boring revolver as the best art for the absolute staple gun for the game.

Art for original .44 is, buy my opinion, quite good except the gun itself :P (which can be honest mistake in the "preinternet" era - like, for example, the card was called "pistol" when the art was ordered) - there are something happening there except just showing us the gun we've seen thousand times.

New art shows the right gun but there are nothing else there. Boring and pointless.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
15 Nov 2017 15:31 #84283 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic New Set?

...that he was an actual Nazi.

As I remember, "actual Nazis" were the guys in the previous century in Germany, who killed millions of people as well as (with some help ;) ) make whole world suffer deadliest war in human history.

Maybe I does not know something, but MacNeil cannot be one of them.

What I does know, thou, that limiting access of people to paid work on the basis of not of their ability to do it, but their political views, was (and is) one of the main means of totalitarian regimes (including said "actual Nazis").

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blooded Sand

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds