file VTES Translations news

23 Jul 2019 10:27 #95934 by Sambomb
Replied by Sambomb on topic VTES Translations news

I'm pretty sure that the people involved in the translation (both at BCP/VEKn and the company doing the translated version) have thought about these things.

I think that the info regarding this is on need to know basis and no one else that the involved parties are in need to know. You, me and everyone else.

Trying to somehow democratically vote the translations would be a logistical nightmare still leaving sh... bad taste in most everybody's mouths.

Im not asking to vote anything, but I think that at least we can talk about it and MAYBE something useful could improve the final result.

My biggest fear is about card names and how the translations of these can make the organizer life harder then its already is.

Just imagine an European Championship 2021 with people that talk 5 different languages in the same table and the judge/players stopping the game each time a card is played to know what a card do.

Its already hard to track what a card do with only english because we have cards 25 years old that changed a lot...

The only thing that dont change is the cards names, even the game name already changed.

The simple suggestion is, dont translate card names.

The not so simple is, print the card unique code used in the CSV somewhere visible in the card and make a list that is easy to find the card, the translation and all rules that may concern about this card.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2019 05:55 #95944 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic VTES Translations news
What makes you so fearful that the people the publisher and BCP hall of famers aren't able to take care of such basic things? I'm sure that they are all as concerned about the quality of the translation.

And as you notice, no one is offering any actual info on this. Not even the BCP member posting a reply since my last post ;)

I also hope for the best and fear for the worst.

As to TwoRazorReign's proposed translation method. In ideal world perhaps. Often these project tend to cost quite a lot and corners are cut since producing VTES is not printing gold. Therefore I kinda assume that a lot of costs are kept as low as possible. Hope not, but that is unfortunately how things tend to get done :/

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
24 Jul 2019 11:20 #95950 by Sambomb
Replied by Sambomb on topic VTES Translations news
Yes, I dont expect anything, thats why I asked about a guideline.
My concern is exactly because everyone is radio silence about It.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
29 Jul 2019 14:17 - 29 Jul 2019 14:19 #96021 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic VTES Translations news
Just for you I asked during last weekend's Ropecon GP's stream from BCP's Henrik about this.

(EDIT: Note that pictured in the link below is the Ropecon Tournament Organizer and Judge being interviewed, not Henrik... :D )

So, here is some thoughts directly from the horse's mouth:

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 14:19 by Lönkka.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sambomb

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds