file VTES Translations news

20 Jul 2019 09:59 #95911 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic VTES Translations news
I suspect we'll get more info when there is something to report.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
22 Jul 2019 04:29 #95919 by Sambomb
Replied by Sambomb on topic VTES Translations news
Thats the problem, im affraid that they just drop the bomb when its already too late to change something and do more bad then good with the translations!
There is absolutely nothing anywhere in the official forum similar to a guideline to the translations, how will be translated the cards?
Does russian cards have English Names? Portuguese cards will follow the same guidelines as russian cards? Official Vampire the Masquearade translations will be used? Personal Names?

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
22 Jul 2019 11:14 #95922 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic VTES Translations news
I'm pretty sure that the people involved in the translation (both at BCP/VEKn and the company doing the translated version) have thought about these things.

I think that the info regarding this is on need to know basis and no one else that the involved parties are in need to know. You, me and everyone else.

Trying to somehow democratically vote the translations would be a logistical nightmare still leaving sh... bad taste in most everybody's mouths.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
22 Jul 2019 13:00 #95923 by TwoRazorReign

I'm pretty sure that the people involved in the translation (both at BCP/VEKn and the company doing the translated version) have thought about these things.

I think that the info regarding this is on need to know basis and no one else that the involved parties are in need to know. You, me and everyone else.

Trying to somehow democratically vote the translations would be a logistical nightmare still leaving sh... bad taste in most everybody's mouths.

You may be right, but the original poster's concerns are warranted.

Any translation process should include a first step of translating the text plus a second step for quality control. This is standard process in the field of translation.

This means that (1) materials get translated by a certified bilingual translator, (2) a second certified bilingual translator reviews the translated text (and back-translates as appropriate to ensure the translated text is appropriate), (3) the two translators resolve any issues, (4) a quality assurance editor fluent in the target language (and preferably one who has researched VTES beforehand) reviews the translated copy and resolves any issues with the translators, and (5) the translators and editor proof the final translated card layouts against the original English versions. Because this is a card game, an additional step 6 is the translated cards should then be play tested.

Judging from how VTES has never involved a quality control process at any time ever for even non-translated cards, I doubt the processes I outlined are being followed (it would be expensive to do so). I am guessing there is just one person making the translations, with the QC process happening "democratically" through play testing. If that is the case (and I hope I am wrong), there is an incredibly high chance for disaster to happen with these translations.

More
22 Jul 2019 17:46 #95928 by thelonius reloaded
As an italian player, I want to state here and now that most of the "Italian-like" terms in the game are... well... awful. (But it's WW fault XD)

If you want I can provide a list, or not :p

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy

More
23 Jul 2019 06:18 #95930 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic VTES Translations news

As an italian player, I want to state here and now that most of the "Italian-like" terms in the game are... well... awful. (But it's WW fault XD)

If you want I can provide a list, or not :p

That would be interesting :)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds