file Anthology set previews: April 17

18 Apr 2017 12:30 #81507 by self biased
im having trouble reading the copyright text. What does it say?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2017 13:12 - 18 Apr 2017 13:19 #81509 by Ankha
I'll try to answer everyone.
First of all, our prioriy about cardtexts is clarity, and accuracy. Consistency is very important too, but if a card is clearer with a twist in the formulation, then we'll go for the clearest wording.
If two cards have exactly the same effect, both will have the same wording.

That being said, choices had to be made when we established the set of rules we are following. Those choices are complex and are still under progress, considering the amount of cards to review, all the special cases, and compatibility issues with older cards. Obviously, other choices that would have probably been valid too were possible.

With that in mind:

Why doesn't Enkil Cog use the new "attached" wording? Shouldn't it say "the attached vampire" instead of "this vampire"?

Kinda feels like we're going back to the problem of inconsistent wording across cards.

Attached is an alias for "the <whatever> with this card". It's used when there are multiple actors that are similar (two vampires for instance, one acting and one being a target typically) to remove any ambiguity. If there's no ambiguity, there's no need to use it.
Enkil Cog mentions only one minion, so there's no ambiguity when refering to "this vampire".

My question is, is Enkil Cog attached to the vampire? From the new addition to the rulebook, I believe it is.

Correct.

That's a good point about inconsistent wording. Here's another one: why does Madness Network say "follow normal sequencing rules," but Enkil Cog does not? Is this just inconsistent application of "reminder" text, or do the two cards work differently in terms of sequencing?

Reminder texts are, by definition, optional. They are just a reminders of the rules.
Depending on the nature of the card and the space available, reminder texts are present or not. Of course, both Madness Network and Enkil Cog (as well as 99.99% of the cards) follow the "normal sequencing rules". That's a reason why we have a strict rule now about parenthesis: only reminder text can be between parenthesis to avoid confusion. For instance, "Cancel that card (no cost is paid)" was changed to "Cancel that card, and its cost is not paid" because not paying the cost of a cancelled card is not the behavior described in the rules.

And when exactly does a bleed resolve? Should Enkil Cog say "after resolution of a successful bleed action? Doesn't a bleed action resolve with either an unsuccessful (0 or less) or successful (1 or greater) bleed?

Currently, a bleed is always part of a bleed action. In that case, if the bleed action is successful, the bleed resolves (= the effects of the bleed are applied, that is the target burns pool equal to the bleed amount) as part of the action resolution. (You could imagine a master card similar to Piper that would bleed a Methuselah with no action. Of course, the vampire won't be able to play Enkil Cog in that case since Enkil Cog is an action modifier, and there would be no action.)
A bleed is successful "if the action succeeds and the bleed amount is one or more" (per rule). If a bleed action that is not blocked has its bleed amount reduced to 0, then the bleed action is successful but the bleed is not.

I'm confused as to whether Enkil Cog is played when the action resolves (part D in the Detailed Play Summary) or when the bleed is successful (Part C in the Detailed Play Summary).

Are you refering to part "HOW TO PERFORM ACTIONS - C. An attempt to block is resolved as follows:"? It doesn't say that the bleed would resolve during that step, could you be clearer?

You say "bleed or bleed action." Are they different?

Yes.

So, here's where the confusion is: a "bleed" is either successful or unsuccessful. It does not resolve much like a referendum of a political action doesn't resolve. A "bleed action" resolves with a successful or unsuccessful bleed.

Enkil Cog changed the word "action" to "bleed."
Why?

Because the only thing that matters is whether the vampire successfully bleeds the prey or not. Of course, in order to have a successful bleed, the action itself needs to be successful.

Madness Network states to follow normal sequencing rules. Enkil Cog does not.
Why?

Both follow the normal rules because they don't explicitely say otherwise.

If the fact that some cards are worded differently upsets you so, why not do something constructive and:

1) make a list, and
2) mail the Inner Circle?

Sure! Errors may slip through also, don't hesitate to report them.

Your point about referendums is disingenuous and doesn't answer my question. Referendums resolve in Part C separately from the political action itself in Part D. I was referring to the resolution of the action having nothing to do with the referendum.

Political actions are too different from bleed actions for a valid comparison.

TwoRazorReign, have you checked the wording for the upcoming revised version of Madness Network (opposed to the current one)?

Perhaps it is worded in the same way as the upcoming Enkil Cog reprint...

That's why I'm bringing it up. I'm wondering if the wordings will be consistent eventually.

Reminder texts are not taken into account when refering to consistency.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 18 Apr 2017 13:19 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: D-dennis

More
18 Apr 2017 16:56 #81511 by TwoRazorReign

I'm confused as to whether Enkil Cog is played when the action resolves (part D in the Detailed Play Summary) or when the bleed is successful (Part C in the Detailed Play Summary).

Are you refering to part "HOW TO PERFORM ACTIONS - C. An attempt to block is resolved as follows:"? It doesn't say that the bleed would resolve during that step, could you be clearer?

The part I'm having an issue with stems more from how the rulebook refers to both "bleed" and "bleed action" to mean "bleed action," but then there is another meaning of "bleed" which is an ability associated with a number ("+1 bleed”). The two meanings are exemplified here: "bleed with 0 bleed, bleed with 1 bleed," etc. The latter meaning is an action that resolves in step D, the former meaning determines whether a bleed is successful/unsuccessful in step C. Confusion may arise because a "bleed" and an "action" both can resolve, but if one is thinking of the ability meaning of the word "bleed," they may confuse “resolution of a successful bleed” (which happens in part D) simply as being “successful” (happens in Part C, last line) because the ability meaning of the word "bleed" interacts only with Part C. The bottom line: it’s not ideal to have the same word mean two different things. It's more an issue with how the rulebook was originally written, but it’s being thrust into the spotlight with new rewording on Enkil Cog.

More
18 Apr 2017 16:57 #81512 by Damnans

im having trouble reading the copyright text. What does it say?

It says: "Vampire: The Eternal Struggle® and © 2017 White Wolf Publishing AB"

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
18 Apr 2017 21:42 #81513 by jamesatzephyr

The part I'm having an issue with stems more from how the rulebook refers to both "bleed" and "bleed action" to mean "bleed action," but then there is another meaning of "bleed" which is an ability associated with a number ("+1 bleed”).

Yes, in English, words often have more than one meaning. These often involve different parts of speech (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs etc.) - such as "bleed" (verb) and "bleed" (noun), or "vote" (verb) and "vote" (noun), or "damage" (verb) and "damage" (noun), or "strike" (verb) and "strike" (noun), or "block" (verb) and "block" (noun). Sometimes, they are different meanings with the same part of speech, such as "ally" (noun meaning War Ghoul etc.) and "ally" (noun meaning my cross-table buddy).

This is not in any way controversial.

they may confuse “resolution of a successful bleed” (which happens in part D) simply as being “successful” (happens in Part C

But:Part C is only about resolving block attempts. It doesn't tell you anything about resolving actions (Part D), or bleeds, or damage (Part VII), or combat (Part VI), or referendums (Part V).

Part C tells you that with no block attempts, the action becomes successful. But the card text you are quoting requires "resolution of a successful bleed". And nothing in Part C tells you to do anything regarding RESOLUTION of a successful bleed.

More
19 Apr 2017 01:22 #81515 by Boris The Blade

Reminder texts are, by definition, optional. They are just a reminders of the rules.
Depending on the nature of the card and the space available, reminder texts are present or not.

Just throwing in idea in there: the L5R CCG employed italic for reminders. That is very useful for someone learning the game because it tells them what generalizes and what does not.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds