file Dumping Archon, creating a new tournament guiding app?

27 May 2018 12:10 #87563 by Ankha

Sambomb wrote: My point is: to enable a simpler solution, we need simpler rules.
To avoid this, I think a player that late arrival or early drop with frequency 1 per year/6 months could have a warning and points be reduced if it happens again while on warning.

We need players, and players want fair games. Having twice the same prey or predator because someone had to leave early is not acceptable.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScoundrelAtHeart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2018 22:32 #87576 by Hecatombe
Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum and I have some ideas that I want to discuss with you. I've been thinking about turning the Archon into a web application since last year, but I think that we could develop a whole website to manage every aspect of the tournament.

First of all, when WoD Berlin ended, Ginés told me that the inscription of the EC was very huge, write down all the personal data from more than 150 players can be really painful. So, I think that apart from reproduce the functions of the Archon, we could use a web for the inscriptions, creating an URL for the players to register and that would save a lot of time. Having access to the database would simplify the inscription process since we could retreive all the data needed from there. Moreover, that would save time when registring a new player because the page would assing a VEKN ID.

Secondly, the results could be validated within the web itself by the NC coordinators and add the scores to the players.

I am studying computer science/engineering right now and with a partner we are thinking about trying to develop that "Archonweb" during the summer if you think that it's a good idea. It would be made with PHP probably, since we don't know any other web language.

Unfortunately, the problem with late arrivals/drops would be there forever if Ankha's algorithm is correct, but I think that right now we should priorize saving time in other aspects of the tournaments.

Thanks to all.

:baal: Little Baali studying to become a true Baali someday.
Prince of Palma,Mallorca, Spain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, ScoundrelAtHeart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2018 02:13 #87579 by Sambomb
I think we all agree that change and improvement is needed.
I agree with Ankha that players deserve fair games.
Our main focus should be an algorithm to handle early drops and late arrivals when they occurs using the previous rounds as base.
Maybe using the optimal seating and swaping positions until everything works

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2018 05:57 #87583 by Ankha

Sambomb wrote: Maybe using the optimal seating and swaping positions until everything works

This is not possible in a reasonable amount of time, due to the combinatorics.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2018 06:08 #87584 by Ankha

Hecatombe wrote: I've been thinking about turning the Archon into a web application since last year, but I think that we could develop a whole website to manage every aspect of the tournament.

All contributions are welcomed ! But, who is "we"?

Hecatombe wrote: we could use a web for the inscriptions, creating an URL for the players to register and that would save a lot of time.

It sounds a good idea, but keep in mind that sometimes, people don't have access to the internet from the tournament place.

Hecatombe wrote: . Moreover, that would save time when registring a new player because the page would assing a VEKN ID.

I'm not sure it would save time. Someone HAS TO check that the player doesn't exist (name mispelt, or not the real name used) before creating a new VEKN number, otherwise we'll have plenty of duplicates.

Hecatombe wrote: Secondly, the results could be validated within the web itself by the NC coordinators and add the scores to the players.

? This is already the case!

Hecatombe wrote: I am studying computer science/engineering right now and with a partner we are thinking about trying to develop that "Archonweb" during the summer if you think that it's a good idea. It would be made with PHP probably, since we don't know any other web language.

Sure! If it works, it can be hosted on the VEKN website.

Hecatombe wrote: Unfortunately, the problem with late arrivals/drops would be there forever if Ankha's algorithm is correct, but I think that right now we should priorize saving time in other aspects of the tournaments.

The minimal requirement is that it covers the same features as the archon today. Tell me if you need any help on that project.
I think an open-source project could motivate other persons with IT skills to help too.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy, ScoundrelAtHeart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum