file Fortitude vs Additional Stikes

10 Aug 2013 13:40 #52980 by CalibanX
Minion A hits for 1 Damage. Minion B plays Hidden Strength, spending a blood to prevent 2 damage. Minion B plays an additional strike for 1 Damage. Does the Hidden Strength prevent the Damage for both strikes if payed for during the initial strike phase?

Or, in general, can damage prevention affects that exceed the inflicted damage of an opponent's initial strike be used to soak damage for additional strikes in the same round?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2013 14:12 #52985 by kombainas
Damage prevention does not carry over to other damage resolution phases (e.g. another round) unless explicitly stated otherwise. As every (additional) strike (pair) has its own resolution phase, damage prevention works the same, therefore prevention does not carry over to additional strike phase by default.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
10 Aug 2013 14:35 #52989 by CalibanX
So, if I played Unflinching Persistence at Superior to use the optional maneuver, I couldn't use it's "Prevent 1 Damage" affect on any Strikes except the first one that round?

This isn't intuitive to me. If someone bleeds me for one and I reduce it by two and they increase the bleed by one, doesn't the bleed still fail since I reduced it by two? It's a similar sort of situation.

More
10 Aug 2013 14:59 #52992 by kombainas

Unflinching Persistence

Combat
Fortitude
[for] Prevent 1 damage.
[FOR] Maneuver, and prevent up to 1 damage later this round. Only usable when choosing range.

Unflinching persistance gives you ability to prevent later in the round (a delayed effect). Additional strikes damage resolution phase is still within the same round, therefore you are eligible to keep the effect for additional strikes.

This is not the same for bleeds, because bleeds (votes, stealth, intercept) can be negative. Therefore if you reduce a bleed of 1 by 2, it goes for -1 and +2 bleed is needed to inflict pool damage.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
10 Aug 2013 15:07 - 10 Aug 2013 15:08 #52995 by kombainas
To be precise, damage gets negative for (only) that phase too if you over-prevent it.

Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 15:08 by kombainas.

More
10 Aug 2013 15:16 #52997 by Suoli

Minion A hits for 1 Damage. Minion B plays Hidden Strength, spending a blood to prevent 2 damage. Minion B plays an additional strike for 1 Damage. Does the Hidden Strength prevent the Damage for both strikes if payed for during the initial strike phase?

Hidden Strength
Type: Combat
Requires: Fortitude
Cost: X blood
[for] Prevent X+1 damage.
[FOR] As above, with an optional press.

Each round of strikes has it's own strike and damage resolution phase. Unless card text says otherwise, you can only prevent damage that exists in the current damage resolution phase. Extras don't carry over to other combat phases.

This isn't intuitive to me. If someone bleeds me for one and I reduce it by two and they increase the bleed by one, doesn't the bleed still fail since I reduced it by two?

A bleed of 1 reduced by 2 equals a bleed of minus 1.

It's a similar sort of situation.

It's different. Striking a second time is analogous to bleeding a second time in a separate action (except that the latter is usually illegal).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds