file Actions, combat, for beginners

24 May 2018 13:18 #87435 by Ankha

In magic tournaments I've noticed a pretty good mannerism to go with such cards.

You say "stop!" or "wait" immediately when you have the opportunity to cancel/counter, and only THEN ponder whether you actually want to commit to countering/canceling. If not, you just say "ok, continue", otherwise "I counter/cancel that". This ensures that no backtracking is needed, and as long as this is done in moderation (not to just mess with people, in which case you would get warning for delaying the game) it keeps things both in control, within the rules, and moving along smoothly. Of course you shouldn't do this with every single card opponents play, but only when it would be meaningful for you to cancel their card.

Of course, since you don't need an actual card to say "Wait. Ok, continue", this can be done to bluff people as well, and they can't be sure whether you actually HAVE a cancel card, unless you are super obvious about it.

Magic is a lot about response to effects from the other player, much more than in V:TES. So it makes a sense in Magic to systematically ask for any response.

In VTES, the only response is cancellation, and it doesn't happen a lot. So it's clearly not applicable, especially in a game where 5 players can cancel each other's cards. Sometimes, you know there a chance that the card will be cancelled, so you ask first, but most of the time, it's inevitable to rewind.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2018 13:43 #87436 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Actions, combat, for beginners
What if you cut cancellation?
Would the world end?

I assume no because it helps the Essence of VtES(tm) - Immortal Grapple.
B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
24 May 2018 14:17 #87437 by Bloodartist

Magic is a lot about response to effects from the other player, much more than in V:TES. So it makes a sense in Magic to systematically ask for any response.

In VTES, the only response is cancellation, and it doesn't happen a lot. So it's clearly not applicable, especially in a game where 5 players can cancel each other's cards. Sometimes, you know there a chance that the card will be cancelled, so you ask first, but most of the time, it's inevitable to rewind.

I am not sure if you understood my post correctly. Doesn't sound like it at least.
I didn't say "active player asks for responses".
I said non-active player asks the active player to wait, while he ponders whether or not to react and cancel the card played by active player. This is better than the other two alternatives´: to just let active player to continue while non-active player goes through the same process, and then forces rewind if he decides upon the cancellation; Or the active player actively asking for responses after every single cancellable card he plays.

This is not a rule and I don't expect it to become one. Its just a practical way of handling such situation. You are free to play your cards in whatever way you choose.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
24 May 2018 14:17 #87438 by elotar

I'm asking you all to notice, that I wasn't first in to making this suggestion! :lol:

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
24 May 2018 19:42 #87454 by jamesatzephyr

Would the world end?

No, but if it was global - all cancellation - I would be particularly concerned about master cards. Being able to Wash or Sudden a powerful card is really helpful as a balancing factor. And that happens quite a bit, given that master cards are super-duper good, most of the time.

If you restrict it just to not cancelling minion cards, the world wouldn't end, but it would hurt a bunch of things - the flavour of Abombwe, amongst other things. A handful of vampires have cancellation specials, which would render them overcosted.

More
24 May 2018 21:05 #87462 by Kraus

Would the world end?

No, but if it was global - all cancellation - I would be particularly concerned about master cards. Being able to Wash or Sudden a powerful card is really helpful as a balancing factor. And that happens quite a bit, given that master cards are super-duper good, most of the time.

If you restrict it just to not cancelling minion cards, the world wouldn't end, but it would hurt a bunch of things - the flavour of Abombwe, amongst other things. A handful of vampires have cancellation specials, which would render them overcosted.

Well, there ARE other ways to go about dealing with problematic cards. Netrunner for example doesn't do reactions, but offers even more different solutions to dealing with or trashing/burning problematic cards. We also have plenty of abilities to deal with locations, arguably some of the strongest masters. It doesn't make sense to cancel MMPA liquidations or ashurs that much either.

The most devastating thing usually is to cancel Villeins for ousts, which kind of boost S&B in early game and make for a weird who-shoots-first in some match ups.

Granted, cancellation for silver bullets like Fear of Mekhet might be a matter of life and death for some archetype viabilities. Then again, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that bad. You might, or might not, draw into your Sudden anyways. Pentex isn't that bad anyways, since there's always contest and begging for help. Getting ousts with an early Pentex to kill blocks would probably be as bad as it is now. Cancellation saves you only 40-60% of the time (purely a gut feeling).

The DI meta game is heavily skill based however, and even if it's kind of daunting, a well played DI just might be the only thing keeping turbo Baali decks in check, and other combo monstrosities. I'd loathe to lose that, even if it's kind of out dated as a design mechanic. You can practically smell the 90's.

At first glance getting rid of cancellation would hurt S&B the most, if they can't run 5-8 Suddens to seal the ousts. The rest is mostly about meta game. The DI hunt is both ancient as a mechanic, as well as a really interesting table control tool to support the multi-player aspect of the game (and offer control for every player).

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds