question-circle How do you deal with people leaving the table before ousted

02 Aug 2018 07:57 #89534 by manituan
I´d like to know how you deal with this issue in your domains mostly (casual play) but also in tournaments.

I´m not talking about withdrawing, the rules are very clear on that regard, but people leaving in the middle of the game.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2018 08:17 #89537 by Kraus

I´d like to know how you deal with this issue in your domains mostly (casual play) but also in tournaments.

I´m not talking about withdrawing, the rules are very clear on that regard, but people leaving in the middle of the game.

Thank you.

Thankfully I have seen that very, very rarely, and people who rage quit out of the tables are rarely seen again anyways. VtES isn't exactly something that those people find alluring for long.

Mostly we reinforce a non-defeatist attitude as a group from the start: from the very first games people try VtES, we say that they're going to lose a lot, and that's okay. Be supportive and stuff. That goes a long, long way I've heard. There's always only one winner, and often not even that. Lose together. :)

Also explaining that sometimes it's okay to sit there for 30min without vampires and just passing your turn. Smile, and be there. We've all been there, and when you try until the very, very end even if it's mathematically impossible, makes the game so much better for everyone else. You make the game as a group after all.

If someone really has to go because of an accident, force majeur or work, it's more than understandable and we just end the game there, mostly. Or improvise something similar. When real life calls, what happens to a game of cards is trivial.

Are you more thinking about the 'rage quitter', or real life occurances?

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
02 Aug 2018 08:45 #89539 by manituan
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about real life occurances only, but in the end the result is the same.

Some ways we´ve handled this issue include: We´ve left the remaining blood pool for the prey to bleed it, we´ve given the prey a victory point and 6 pool or, as you say, we could just end the game there. None of them are really good solutions, they game becomes flawded at that point. That´s why I wanted to know if there was a better solution out there.

Cheers.

More
02 Aug 2018 09:51 #89541 by Ankha
There's no good solution unfortunately. I would leave the pool and proxy the cards that can be stolen or that move (eg. the Coven, Powerbase: Montreal).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
02 Aug 2018 12:55 #89542 by DJHedgehog
I would let someone who wants to rage quit know that there is a mechanism that allows that as part of the game, via transferring out. To me these things are one and the same.

I've transferred out before and it was because I was salty as hell about something in the game. Never my proudest moment but it felt right in the game. I think it's preferable to leaving a pile of pool as it's preventing a potential prey from interacting with the player's predator, which could allow them to build steam before deciding to bleed out the rage quitter.

More
02 Aug 2018 13:20 #89543 by Ankha

I think it's preferable to leaving a pile of pool as it's preventing a potential prey from interacting with the player's predator, which could allow them to build steam before deciding to bleed out the rage quitter.

If you give the VP right away, then you change too much the course and pace of the game. A player that had make plans according to the current flow will be penalized (for instance, your prey gains instantaneously 6 pool, when you were planning to oust her during your next turn). By leaving the pool, the table dynamics is less altered.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScoundrelAtHeart

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds