file Rulebook queries

29 Apr 2019 01:30 #94708 by narpassword
Replied by narpassword on topic Rulebook queries
you use it by putting it in play
it represents an event happening in the game world
you can use the text on that even as a player to affect things on the table.

how is that any different to

i use this piece of cardboard with a picture of a gun on it?

this picture represents a gun
the other picture represents an ability to kill 2 caps

seriously dude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2019 01:35 - 29 Apr 2019 01:45 #94709 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Rulebook queries
Another query: “Influence is represented by pool counters (see Equipment Needed, sec. 1.2), the main currency of the game.”

Later in section 1.2: “Blood Counters: Blood counters are an integral part of the game. Each player needs about 40 counters: 30 for her starting pool and an extra 10 blood counters to help fill the communal blood bank“

In the first quoted section, we refer to “pool counters”. In the second quoted section, we refer to starting pool as comprising 30 blood counters. Should the counters in a player’s pool be referred to as pool counters or blood counters?
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 01:45 by TwoRazorReign.

More
29 Apr 2019 01:42 #94710 by TwoRazorReign

seriously dude

Yes, I seriously think the sentence can be clearer. Plese understand I am not trying to actively irritate you. I am a copy editor and like to edit things and discuss whether things can be clearer. Please be respectful, or ignore the posts.

More
29 Apr 2019 01:49 #94711 by narpassword
Replied by narpassword on topic Rulebook queries

seriously dude

Yes, I seriously think the sentence can be clearer. Plese understand I am not trying to actively irritate you. I am a copy editor and like to edit things and discuss whether things can be clearer. Please be respectful, or ignore the posts.

yea man, i know youre a copy editor - I've seem you post before. 90% of your posts are in the same manner. a lot have merit. other, it really just looks like youre nitpicking the smallest possible thing you can find.

In what reasonable situation are you finding a player confused by the sentence you're trying to criticize?

More
29 Apr 2019 02:33 - 29 Apr 2019 02:36 #94712 by TwoRazorReign
So, you seem to read the sentence literally, meaning that library cards are things the players literally use by flopping pieces of cardboard on the table. I don’t think this is the intended interpretation of the sentence; the section previously describes crypt cards as representing “the vampires (or other minions) you hope to control.” By describing crypt cards this way, then library cards as representing “the things you or your minions can do or use”, they mean this in a more conceptual context than your interpretation suggests. My issue is that event cards don’t fit this conceptual description. For example, crypt cards are vampires you hope to control, guns are things minions deal damage with (“do or use”) in combat, and event cards are events that affect the world of darkness as a whole.

If this sentence should be taken literally, then the descriptions should be less conceptual and more literal, for example, crypt cards are cards that are not played by hand and have default set of uses and novel effects, and library cards are played by hand and generally list single use effects (this is likely not an optimal description, just an example). This description of library cards would encompass all types of library cards, including event cards.

I believe that a more literal and less conceptual description would be more useful to the reader. You obviously had no issue with understanding the sentence, but other readers might.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 02:36 by TwoRazorReign.

More
29 Apr 2019 20:38 - 29 Apr 2019 20:39 #94718 by Palamedes
Replied by Palamedes on topic Rulebook queries
The sentence "The cards in your crypt represent the vampires (or other minions)... and the cards in your library represent the things you or your minions can do or use." is excellent and very well describes what your decks are, especially for beginners. And that is the whole point of paragraph 1.2. Equipment Needed.
As I said, it goes into details later.

The Counters in general are Blood counters, and when the Blood counter is in your Pool, then it is the Pool counter. In this way it clear what is that counter represent. So when a card says "the Pool counter" you know what that means. Otherwise it will be "the blood counter in your Pool", which would be unnecessary long and complicated.

If this sentence should be taken literally, then the descriptions should be less conceptual and more literal, for example, crypt cards are cards that are not played by hand and have default set of uses and novel effects, and library cards are played by hand and generally list single use effects (this is likely not an optimal description, just an example). This description of library cards would encompass all types of library cards, including event cards.

If I had read this sentence at the beginning of the rulebook, I would probably think WTF, I probably would not continue reading and I probably would not play the game at the end.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 20:39 by Palamedes. Reason: bolding text.
The following user(s) said Thank You: narpassword

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds