question-circle To Henry or not to Henry.

22 Nov 2011 21:53 #15581 by Shadowhunter
I've noticed that the web shop I used to buy all my V:tES cards at still have 11 Henry Taylor in store. This got me thinking of whether or not I want to buy some and make a Henry Twister decks.
Seeing as I've never played one before (I did do a Twister-esque deck once with Nehemiah + pre weenies + kiss of lachesis + flamethrowers though) I was wondering how fun they are to play in the long run.

So, a question to all of you that have played such a deck, was it fun?
Would you say you could see yourself play it at least semi-regularly or did it pass onto a "not fun for anyone, not doing it again" kind of deck?

I know I spent a lot of time and effort making a Khazar's Diary deck that tried to abuse Paolo Sardenzo's special which ended up in a convoluted way to bloat 7 pool a turn but couldn't handle casual intercept or too fast predators. So I've yet to play it again and I don't want that to happen with this idea.

Should I go for it?
Spontaneously I feel like I'd like to play it once in a while, but I'm not sure since I haven't actually played it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2011 22:41 #15589 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: To Henry or not to Henry.

So, a question to all of you that have played such a deck

I have.

was it fun?

Not at all.

Would you say you could see yourself play it at least semi-regularly or did it pass onto a "not fun for anyone, not doing it again" kind of deck?

The latter.

Basically because as soon as you flip Henry Taylor you will have 4 predators trying to prevent you from setting up. Someone will crosstable Grapplerush you. Someone will Dark Influence an Earth Meld. People play Block Fails. You will get a Pentex.

That said, I did kinda like Ankha's version with inferior Meld with the Land and a Condemnation, but that requires WAAAAAY to much setup to actually work.

More
22 Nov 2011 23:59 #15591 by CryWolf

Yes to the former and HELL YEAH to the latter, but ...

I won't play it regularly, because you easily become a target, like Izaak just said. People will metagame against you and you will end up frustrated.

Should I go for it?
Spontaneously I feel like I'd like to play it once in a while, but I'm not sure since I haven't actually played it.

I say do it. It's one of my sleeved and ready-to-play decks.But that may just be me; I'm the type of guy who is also a fan of No Secrets from the Magaji.

In my experience, plain blocking Henry with Smiling Jack is boring. You would do well with modifying it to have some more ousting power, like leveraging :PRO: stealth.

Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of writing a post on deck construction with the Henry Twister archetype as an example. Stay tuned, and good luck. :)

More
23 Nov 2011 03:47 #15597 by Juggernaut1981
Column A: Can be quite a lot of fun to thwart 4 other players...

Column B: Henry Taylor arrives with a GIANT red and white circle pattern on his head...

*Note: Choosing Column A regularly can easily get you branded as "That guy who is no fun to play with..."

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
23 Nov 2011 17:14 #15655 by Kushiel

Nope.

It's funny the very first time it does its trick. After that, it's just monotonous. It's already easy for games of VTES to get bogged down into gruelingly slow play; I don't recommend building a deck that requires two hours of same in order to win.

More
23 Nov 2011 17:22 #15657 by Pendargon
one of the most boring decks i have ever played against - Henry twister... :-(

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds