lightbulb Tournament Report - 5th Hiekkaharju Nightmares - 14.10.2017, Vantaa Finland

16 Oct 2017 16:23 - 26 Oct 2022 08:25 #83887 by Cerion
5th Hiekkaharju Nightmares
Vantaa, Finland
October 14th 2017
2R+F
9 players
Matti Palomäki

Another 9 player tournament, but atleast we got yet another tournament,
maybe one day agian we get 10 atleast or more

Finals seating was:

Juho Linna (Eurobrujah) -> Juha Laukkanen (Matasuntha) -> Matti Palomäki (Escaped Mental Patients & Flash Grenades) -> Petri Wessman (Gargoyles) -> Tero Aalto ( Stanislava)

We were about 10 seconds away from getting new tournament winner, but Matti managed an out that 10s before time out, so congrats to him for winning second tournament in a row in Finland. Eventhough it won't go to TWDA his decklist is below, He may if he wants to write a more detailed report about the tournament and finals.

Final Rank Name Prelim GWs Prelim VPs Final VPs TPs
1 Matti Palomäki 0 3 1,5 108
2 Juha Laukkanen 1 2,5 0,5 96
2 Tero Aalto 0 2,5 1,5 90
2 Juho Linna 0 1,5 0 82
2 Petri Wessman 1 5 0 96
6 Lauri Salmi 0 1 54
7 Jaakko Nurro 0 0 46
8 Jyri Puhakka 0 0 40
9 Antti Penttilä 0 0 36

Baron of Vantaa
Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 08:25 by Ashur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2017 16:27 #83888 by Cerion
Deck Name: Säävarauksella
Tap'n'bleed. Escaped Mental Patients throwing Flash Grenades do the tapping, permanent bleed bonuses provide the bleed.
Deck is fragile and falls apart against a multitude of things . On the other hand, a few decks fall apart against it in entertaining ways, too.
1,5 + 1,5 + 1,5 VPs for the first place in Hiekkaharju 9 player tournament. Mylan bled for the oust in the final - with less than 20 seconds left on the timer.

Crypt (12 cards; Capacity min=2 max=5 avg=3.83)
===============================================
1x Beauregard Krueller 4 aus dem obf !Malkavian:4
2x Bloodfeud 2 obf !Malkavian:4
3x Colonel, The 5 cel dem obf AUS !Malkavian:3
1x Fabrizia Contreraz 4 dem pot !Malkavian:4
1x General Perfidio Díos 5 dem obf AUS !Malkavian:3
1x Jackie 3 DEM !Malkavian:4
1x Marta 3 aus dem !Malkavian:4
2x Roger Farnsworth 4 aus OBF !Malkavian:3

Library (64 cards)
==================
Master (15)
2x Church of the Order of St. Blaise
4x Direct Intervention
1x Heidelberg Castle, Germany
2x Jake Washington (Hunter)
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Powerbase: Barranquilla
1x Powerbase: Chicago
1x Powerbase: Washington, D.C.
1x Rötschreck
1x Sunset Strip, Hollywood
Event (4)
1x FBI Special Affairs Division
3x Unmasking, The

Action (2)
2x Computer Hacking

Equipment (11)
1x Codex of the Edenic Groundskeepers
7x Flash Grenade
1x Guarded Rubrics
2x Heart of Nizchetus

Ally (11)
2x Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
6x Escaped Mental Patient
1x Mylan Horseed (Goblin)
1x Ossian
1x Young Bloods

Retainer (2)
1x J. S. Simmons, Esq.
1x Tasha Morgan

Action Modifier (5)
1x Cloak the Gathering
4x Walk through Arcadia

Reaction (8)
1x Eyes of Argus
1x My Enemy's Enemy
2x On the Qui Vive
4x Telepathic Misdirection

Combat (6)
6x Concealed Weapon

Baron of Vantaa

More
16 Oct 2017 17:07 #83889 by Kraus
This is beyond hilarious.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
16 Oct 2017 20:00 - 17 Oct 2017 08:47 #83892 by Bloodartist
This was the most fun tournament yet. I was the guy playing Matasuntha.

The final table was pretty static, three decks had rush combat which led to mostly defensive game. Regardless, the games were decided by very small margins.

- Petri is in bad shape since the gargoyles' aggro-based combat package is not good enough against Matti's numerous allies. On the other hand, Matti doesn't have many minions who can actually bleed.

- Stanislava withstood rushes from both left (Theo Bell) and right (divebombing gargoyles) successfully whole game. Stanislava never went to torpor.

- Stanislava banished Theo Bell twice during the final game. Once Tero ran out of banishments, Theo starts nonstop rushing Stanislava. To no avail, Juho is eventually ousted, giving Tero a VP that would be sufficient for Tero's first tournament victory if no other ousts happen.

- In a somewhat gutsy move, Matti bleeds with walk through arcadia using a vampire who has ONE BLOOD AND FAME ON HIM! Against unlocked blockers even! Oh! Oh! He is unblockable. Not even close. Incidentally, Matti has 3 pool when he does the winning oust.

- At one point Jake Washington goes for oust bleed with computer hacking. He is foiled; Petri had the wake.

- Matasuntha tries to psyche her way through mental patients seemingly endless pockets. I don't succeed and give it up for most of the game. Iirc Matti uses (or at least equips) 3 flash grenades during a single action. At least two! I can't honestly remember. Looking back at Matti's decklist, I think I should've continued my aggression.

- Me ousting Matti and most likely winning tournament(I had better seed than Tero) came down to not drawing the stealth card I needed to get through Matti's horde of allies and unmasking to stealth-rush Mattis fame-guy for the oust. If I had drawn that stealth sometime during the last three turns, I might have gotten the oust and won the tournament. I don't know for sure, but I think this is what it came down to.

- Eventually neither me nor Tero find the necessary unsportsmanlike conduct to stall for 20 seconds that would've denied Matti the oust and given Tero the victory. Tero contemplates the issue after the game, but during the game he doesn't stall. For me, stalling would not be play-to-win (it would have just given Tero the win) so I don't do it. I could've easily stalled by doing a stupid bleed attempt so going through combat motions would have killed seconds off the clock. For sake of fair game I just play as quickly as possible and pass. Matti bleeds for the win with 10 seconds on the clock.

ps. It was my first final table so I'm very happy :cheer:

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 17 Oct 2017 08:47 by Bloodartist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

More
16 Oct 2017 20:36 #83893 by Kushiel
This deck is wonderful.

Are the DIs mainly there to prevent the allies from being stolen?

More
17 Oct 2017 09:43 #83901 by Beatrice
I'm glad people find the deck amusing.

Are the DIs mainly there to prevent the allies from being stolen?

The DIs are there to answer any threats that come up - as I said, the deck is quite fragile. The three main things I was thinking about when including them were Ancilla Empowerment, Carlton van Wyk being stolen or recruited, and theft of Ossian.

Death by a single vote is an obvious scenario to avoid. Carlton is problematic for the patients, with his dodge and the ability to survive shooting one dead if they don't set themselves on fire first and do to job for him. I also have no good response to Ossian, who can just waltz past my defending allies and make a mess out of my small vampires. Actually, playing him myself for someone else to steal is already kind of a sketchy idea, really. :)

BTW, speaking of sketchy, and the master selection, the bloat module is kind of dubious. Great when it works, but evey now and then it doesn't. The rest of the deck I'm quite happy with, but the master section I could see with any number of other cards.

- Matasuntha tries to psyche her way through mental patients seemingly endless pockets. I don't succeed and give it up for most of the game. Iirc Matti uses (or at least equips) 3 flash grenades during a single action. At least two! I can't honestly remember. Looking back at Matti's decklist, I think I should've continued my aggression.

It was two Concealed Flash Grenades and a Rötschreck. ;) That EMP is due to receive a medal for the effort shown in stopping the big bad gangrel monster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bloodartist

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds