file [Submission] Parry

18 May 2015 17:53 #71210 by brandonsantacruz
Parry
Combat
Zero cost
Burn option
Requires a melee weapon
Only usable when the opposing minion attempts to make a hand strike or non-ranged weapon strike. Strike: Choose a melee weapon this minion controls. This minion takes no damage from the opposing minion's strike and inflicts damage on the opposing minion equal to the chosen weapon.

Source: 3rd edition rule book.

Compelling game need: Lets make melee weapons not suck please.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2015 18:49 #71212 by 2wayspeaker
Replied by 2wayspeaker on topic Re: [Submission] Parry
I like the idea but it will lose out to a lot.

Loses to S:CE
Loses to Grapple
Loses to CEL .44 Magnum (pursuit, Psyche!)
Loses to Theft
Loses to Obedience/Mental Maze/..
It only helps against weak combat (WWS, Target Vitals)

Also most minions "melee weapon" is a Weighted Walking Stick.
In Ventrue grinders, with plenty Fortitude.

I do however like it in combo with Shambling Hordes.
Give them a Melee -> they have prevention, stay alive and mount up to an army.
Unaffected by obedience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porphyrion

More
18 May 2015 23:23 #71216 by brandonsantacruz
Then maybe it should have an option to strike: Melee weapon strike at +1 damage. That way it cycles well (also see burn option).

Many things lose in combat, but at least this makes melee more interesting and somewhat more effective.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
19 May 2015 00:10 #71217 by Charles_Bronson
hi brandon!

Melee weapon total prevention is a bit strange. I would do something like:

Strike: Make a melee weapon strike, and prevent up to two damage from the opposing minion hand or melee weapon strike. If this minion has :CEL:, he can prevent damage from a gun strike as well.

also, check my melee weapon package submission.

vekn.net/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/65938-submission-melee-weapon-package

I would like to see what you think.
thanks

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
19 May 2015 15:54 #71228 by jamesatzephyr

Parry
Combat
Zero cost
Burn option
Requires a melee weapon
Only usable when the opposing minion attempts to make a hand strike or non-ranged weapon strike. Strike: Choose a melee weapon this minion controls. This minion takes no damage from the opposing minion's strike and inflicts damage on the opposing minion equal to the chosen weapon.

Other than Primal Instincts and Rapid Thought (and maybe one or two other corner case cards like that), this means you have to be declaring your strike second by being the non-acting Methuselah. So likely, either you've just been rushed, or you're blocking, which really restricts the decks that you might be enlivening. Perhaps go for something more like a Soul Burn template. So it goes more like "Strike: make a strike with a melee weapon. If the opposing minion attempts to strike with a [whatever] this strike, he or she does no damage." Or possibly go for something more like Stutter-Step, although that's probably more of a discipline-based effect.

Overall, though, I'm not sure that weak prevent is dealing with the problems that make melee weapon combat much less effective than guns or transients. As 2wayspeaker points out, the few decks that try to put together a mildly effective melee weapon package probably already have access to much better defensive tech.

More
19 May 2015 16:46 #71229 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: [Submission] Parry

I like the idea but it will lose out to a lot.

Loses to S:CE
Loses to Grapple
Loses to CEL .44 Magnum (pursuit, Psyche!)
Loses to Theft
Loses to Obedience/Mental Maze/..
It only helps against weak combat (WWS, Target Vitals)

This is true of a lot of combat cards, but it does not mean this card idea should not be considered.

If the ONLY purpose of a new combat card is to counter one or more of the above than you would only be adding another card to that list, rather than broadening the options for cards. You would simply be adding more "power cards" without adding more support or variety that are meant to back up those cards.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds