file Dan Murdock

23 Mar 2011 16:18 #2768 by Dervish
Dan Murdock was created by Dervish
Hello All,

So some time back I mentioned I had a Dan Murdock and was met with a reply, "who doesn't!" ... I was surprised as I had a list of people who did not own one, so I wanted to inquire as to his rarity for those who want him.

My purpose is that I am considering using him as a 1st place prize in a tourney, but I don't want to have something too banal.

best
David Wilson

More evidence that your deck need not be good in order to win:
thelasombra.com/decks/twd.htm#2011tottco
:THA::OBF::OBE::PRO::CHI::ravn:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2011 16:50 #2769 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Dan Murdock
Don't own one. If not the most rare, it's certainly one of the most rare cards in the game.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
23 Mar 2011 17:19 #2770 by Pullen
Replied by Pullen on topic Re: Dan Murdock
I would like one.

:OBT::MYT::PRO::val::obf:

More
23 Mar 2011 17:25 #2771 by hardyrange
Replied by hardyrange on topic Re: Dan Murdock
I would say: It depends.

In total, over the years, I have owned ~12 Dan Murdock.
5 of those are in my private collection, the rest I did indeed offer as prize support for tournaments or local VTES league events - but usually not as first prize, but as a nice goodie that I gave away randomly to one event participant.

I find that most "oldtimers" I met at events will alraedy have Dan Murdock (and, in a similar vein, Mariana Gilbert, the other promo vampire from Wizards of the Coast times).
The "newer" players, who started the game well after the WotC area, were actually quite happy to win a Dan or Mariana.

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager

More
23 Mar 2011 17:43 #2772 by Amenophobis
Replied by Amenophobis on topic Re: Dan Murdock

Hello All,

So some time back I mentioned I had a Dan Murdock and was met with a reply, "who doesn't!" ... I was surprised as I had a list of people who did not own one, so I wanted to inquire as to his rarity for those who want him.

My purpose is that I am considering using him as a 1st place prize in a tourney, but I don't want to have something too banal.

best
David Wilson

We had both Dan and Marianna as prize support of the first EC in 1999 in Vienna. WotC was very generous and sent me about 150 of each.

I'd say both are note that rare for old players. Newer ones are most likely not that lucky. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kodanshi

More
23 Mar 2011 21:14 #2784 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Dan Murdock

Don't own one. If not the most rare, it's certainly one of the most rare cards in the game.

Dunno, you could get one by sending a coupon from a Vampire novel (On a Darkling Plain?) to WotC a way back then.

Nowadays you can get one from ebay. Currently 5 copies with Buy it Now price ranging from $4.75 to $13.

I would've been willing to bet that Mariana Gilbert was even more infrequent (I'd hesitate to say rare) as WotC never actually offered her through any coupon redemption thingy even if they planned on using her that way.

But it would seem that the 4 copies that are available at Ebay go for BIN price of $4 to $5.

Even basic version of Nergal doesn't seem to be much more expensive than Dan: two BINs with price of $10 or $15. One regular auction where the price is still $3.25 and one kit (with ten Nergals, right?) currently being auctioned for $31.

I'd say that the numbers of Dan and Nergal available out there might be roughly the same, but you usually donät need that many Dans, whereas you probably want to have quite a few Nergals which'll drive to price up.

Anyways, if these are crem dela crem of VTES rarest cards, there's not really a problem.

Hmmm, what about Sabbat only rares like Camarilla Vitae Slave etc? I'd say that those are more infrequent than Dan, Marianna or Nergal.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds