file Barbed Wire Decks and getting new players into the game

27 Apr 2011 21:29 - 27 Apr 2011 21:41 #3838 by Adonai
Here's a reference to the ' Barbed Wire Decks '.

What kind of deck package would you build to give newer players a leg up on getting started?

Would you simply go with half a box of starters instead?
Last edit: 27 Apr 2011 21:41 by Adonai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 06:22 - 28 Apr 2011 06:23 #3867 by KevinM

What kind of deck package would you build to give newer players a leg up on getting started?

I've stated many times that I believe the best way for new players to get into the game is for the more experienced player(s) to build a simple, straightforward deck (such as stealth-bleed) for the new player(s) so that the new player can see if they enjoy the game. If they do enjoy it and want to buy a few things, what they should do is to buy half a starter box, doubling-up on the clans and/or concepts that they enjoy the most, along with half a box of boosters from the most appropriate set. It'll only be $50 and it'll give them the best chance of success for their dollar.

If two new players do this, it's still only $50 per player (or $100 for one player) and from that they will get two (or four, for one player) strong, playable, tournament-quality decks, and can probably make 1-2 other "fun" decks, as well as likely having a few cards to trade to the long-time players in exchange for probably dozens of staple cards which the long-time players have in abundance.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 06:23 by KevinM.

More
28 Apr 2011 06:34 #3869 by elotar

2 * 3ed Malkavian Starters.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
28 Apr 2011 09:07 #3886 by Juggernaut1981
I currently have a small handful of reasonably competitive decks that don't have too many moving parts or strange tricks. I have an S&B, a Push-Voter, a Ven Bleeder and a Gangrel Deck (that needs more work realistically).

They're all set up to basically compete with a moderately tuned social deck and have enough grunt that a new player can compete effectively even with inexperienced play.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
28 Apr 2011 14:48 #3910 by brandonsantacruz

I've stated many times that I believe the best way for new players to get into the game is for the more experienced player(s) to build a simple, straightforward deck (such as stealth-bleed) for the new player(s) so that the new player can see if they enjoy the game. If they do enjoy it and want to buy a few things, what they should do is to buy half a starter box, doubling-up on the clans and/or concepts that they enjoy the most, along with half a box of boosters from the most appropriate set. It'll only be $50 and it'll give them the best chance of success for their dollar.

If two new players do this, it's still only $50 per player (or $100 for one player) and from that they will get two (or four, for one player) strong, playable, tournament-quality decks, and can probably make 1-2 other "fun" decks, as well as likely having a few cards to trade to the long-time players in exchange for probably dozens of staple cards which the long-time players have in abundance.

I partly agree with Kevin here. Play before you buy. Once you know what you like(at least to start with), then enlist an experienced player to help you get started. Some suggestions I might have would be along the lines of starter decks(i.e. 1x 3rd ed !Malk + 1x KoT Malk), getting cards you need from experienced players(blood dolls, anarch troublemaker, pentex, deflection, whatever), buy some cards online, etc. I do NOT agree with Kevin on the half booster box idea. More than likely, you will get a bunch of unrelated crap and a handful of cards that are somewhat useful. Staples are really what you are looking for.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
05 May 2011 19:37 #4179 by Lost_Heretic
Boston VtES has a poor box with loads of Jyhad, VtES, and Third Edition. It's a great way to get basic cards you need... except for Deflections the last time I checked.

I played my first game with the Camarilla Brujah starter which was a pretty rough way to learn, but Matt gave me a weenie obfuscate deck to tinker with and that showed me a basics of deck construction and let me be more competitive in my next game.

I've played around with some ideas of making a 4 player demo table where the newbie plays a Malkavian stealth/bleed and experienced players take Brujah bruise/bleed, Ventrue political, and Nosferatu rush.

Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds