file Introducing V:TES

31 Oct 2012 23:42 - 31 Oct 2012 23:57 #40184 by Trigger
Introducing V:TES was created by Trigger
New to the forum here but have played for a couple years. I am going to be introducing vampire to a couple friends and wanted to know the best way to do this with as little pain as possible. Any suggestions or helpful hints would be appreciated.

If I would to use a couple preconstructed decks from 3rd edition, which clans would be best to use?

:tore: :AUS: :CEL: :PRE: :political:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 23:57 by Trigger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2012 00:14 - 01 Nov 2012 00:17 #40187 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Introducing V:TES
Welcome back to the night!

There are a number of recommendations for demoing to potential new players collected here:

www.thelasombra.com/demoing.htm

In particular, I recommend the Golden Rule of Demoing and the 10 Commandments of V:TES Demos .

If using the 3rd Edition starters , either 1) avoid the Malkavian Antitribu starter or 2) give it to the Wookie. The offense included in the deck is much more effective than the offense included in the other three. So if you end up with 3, skip the deck. If you end up with 4, give it to the player most likely to drop the game if they don't win. :)

If you have time, I'd recommend modding the starters in a similar pattern to the decks on this page so that they are all a bit more effective:

www.thelasombra.com/dbc/dbc.htm

Also:

www.thelasombra.com/NewPlayerChallenge.htm
Last edit: 01 Nov 2012 00:17 by Adonai. Reason: New Player Challenge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trigger

More
02 Nov 2012 11:41 - 02 Nov 2012 11:45 #40276 by Trigger
Replied by Trigger on topic Re: Introducing V:TES
Since I have all of the Pre-constructed decks for 3rd edition which I deconstructed in binders, I found the listing for the Players Kit and have put together the 4 decks from that kit as a good intro to VTES. I don't have the turn-by-turn rules, but can get a good feel for the cards in play at the time. There isn't a copy of the rules from the Players Kit floating around here is there?

:tore: :AUS: :CEL: :PRE: :political:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2012 11:45 by Trigger.

More
02 Nov 2012 15:04 #40295 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Introducing V:TES
Been wondering recently what would be the good fifth deck to the four demo decks found in the Player's Kit in order to accomodate a 5th player.

Ideas/decklists anyone?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
02 Nov 2012 15:24 #40299 by drnlmza
Replied by drnlmza on topic Re: Introducing V:TES

I don't have the turn-by-turn rules, but can get a good feel for the cards in play at the time. There isn't a copy of the rules from the Players Kit floating around here is there?

LSJ posted a pre-final edit version of the demo script to the rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad newgroup. I was, until a few moments ago, convinced that it was also hosted on the this site, but, if it is, it has successfully evaded my attempts to find it.

We've run a couple of demos using the Players Kit - it's not perfect (and there are several "I wouldn't do that" moments), but it does cover a lot of the mechanics. The script suggests playing out from the end position, but I haven't dound that to work well. I've found shuffling everything and starting a new game works better, otherwise some of the players feel their positions have been comprised by needing to demonstrate various mechanics.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
02 Nov 2012 16:09 #40304 by brandonsantacruz

Been wondering recently what would be the good fifth deck to the four demo decks found in the Player's Kit in order to accomodate a 5th player.

Ideas/decklists anyone?

A modified ventrue starter from KoT would be good. Swap in/out some cards to bring it up to the level of the 3rd ed starters, but the base is already decent.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds