file What VTES art do you like best?

21 Dec 2020 19:44 #101284 by Ashur
Hi! We (BCP) just published an interview with art director Ginés Quiñonero ( The delicate art of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle , so what better time is there to ask: What VTES art do you like best?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2020 09:04 - 22 Dec 2020 09:05 #101286 by Lönkka
Evocative. Symbolic. Striking. Bold use of palette, often coupled with usage of limited palette.

And since the pictures aren't all that big and often you might be looking at them from the other end of the table it helps if the pics are not some minuscule happenings.

Lastly unique. Even if the artist might not be the most proficient if her/his style is unique it is oftentimes better than having lovely executed pretty pictures that are dime a dozen.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 22 Dec 2020 09:05 by Lönkka.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
22 Dec 2020 12:15 - 22 Dec 2020 12:19 #101287 by Bloodartist
Evocative - Always want a card to look impressive and adhere to world of darkness aesthetic.

Descriptive - Not too abstract, but rather depicting a believable person or a scene. Or if it is abstract, it should at least have strong WoD flavor (for ex. Ancient influence)

Stylistically consistent - I would prefer if cards in my deck would not have wildly different art style from one another

Having unique composition - I would prefer if I could tell what card it is when looking across the table in poorer light conditions just from the artwork. This is difficult to achieve for facial portraits, but for other cards shouldn't be too hard.

Warning: Spoiler!

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Dec 2020 12:19 by Bloodartist. Reason: images too large

More
22 Dec 2020 15:43 #101288 by elotar
In VtES usually name and effect of the card is fixed, so art should fill the "holes", left by design.

So lore explanation of the game effect if it's lacking, mentioned visibility if it's a permanent which must be identified across a table, some entertainment if the card is generally boring ets.

And most art fail at this spectacularly.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
22 Dec 2020 16:33 #101289 by Kilrauko
I've always had a soft spot for the Jyhad era Kaja Foglio's boon masters. Their art and the card choices tell a sensible mini-story while maintaining easy recognition due to inherit contrast.

Compare this to latest editions Roundhouse & Tremere Ines. While the art is good, the story and sensibility is missing. I'm sure there was a sequence of events but it never translated directly to the cards, unless BCP plans to print potence discipline master with Ines on it. Actually, that's their way out, chop chop, time to comission that.

Of course there are single standout cards like old Trap by Jeff Rebner that I can see in Clint Langley's Immortal Grapple. Heck Dreams is so iconic I will be mad if they ever have anything else in it's art. There's also couple old arts whose author has been scrubbed for good reason that I personally like very much, the Art that is, separate from the author. Some people cannot separate the two but I personally feel all works can stand alone and it's up to the person on whether or not they want to pull and include things on that experience.

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.

More
27 Dec 2020 12:26 #101304 by Lönkka
I have a soft spot for Kaja Foglio art.
Period.

Same goes for her husband's art.
Actually the only MtG cards I won are all the cards they did.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds